What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elaz25C ID Please

satan18

hear is a weird one.
It appears to be a standard Elaz25C with two holes that look like factory
Made with W and S over one and H and S over the other.

Any ideas Lads :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• ODD 25 fuse 004.jpg
    ODD 25 fuse 004.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 43
  • ODD 25 fuse 002.jpg
    ODD 25 fuse 002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 51
  • ODD 25 fuse 001.jpg
    ODD 25 fuse 001.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 49
Now then,i like that one Phil. :)
Ive been hanging on to see these pics before i nip out for a cheeky swift at the pub...

Ive never seen a fuze done in that way before mate.My guess would be that it is experimental and that the holes and letters are connected?
I reckon that you needed a special selector key to alter the timing perhaps?
The puzzle would be solved if one knew what the letters stood for?
I can only hazard a guess at the 'H' meaning 'Hoch'(high) so the fuze could be set for different height levels?,maybe the 'W' stood for 'Wasser'(water) use? Perhaps some of our german friends on here could help us out with this one?
Personally i reckon the letters stand for words that involve different heights?
So best guess is they were trying to make a multi-purpose fuze from a common impact like the 25?
best

waff

Now then,i like that one Phil. :)
Ive been hanging on to see these pics before i nip out for a cheeky swift at the pub...

Ive never seen a fuze done in that way before mate.My guess would be that it is experimental and that the holes and letters are connected?
I reckon that you needed a special selector key to alter the timing perhaps?
The puzzle would be solved if one knew what the letters stood for?
I can only hazard a guess at the 'H' meaning 'Hoch'(high) so the fuze could be set for different height levels?,maybe the 'W' stood for 'Wasser'(water) use? Perhaps some of our german friends on here could help us out with this one?
Personally i reckon the letters stand for words that involve different heights?
So best guess is they were trying to make a multi-purpose fuze from a common impact like the 25?
best

waff

Nice theory Mate
I would like to think upon these lines to as it must be denoted by these single letters somehow.

Weres Madbomber when you need him:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best Phil

Nice theory Mate
I would like to think upon these lines to as it must be denoted by these single letters somehow.

Weres Madbomber when you need him:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best Phil

Never far away hopefully? . We need to make a 'Batman' type searchlight with a fuze symbol on instead and shine it in the sky when we have questions mate! lol :xd:

W

I have a (15) fuze with a hole in it , which according to the owner had originally been mounted on a plinth. Could be intials of the officer and his Sgt who defuzed the bomb it came from. if you drilled into the fuze you would damage the condensers ,i think its Trench art of sorts

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a (15) fuze with a hole in it , which according to the owner had originally been mounted on a plinth. Could be intials of the officer and his Sgt who defuzed the bomb it came from. if you drilled into the fuze you would damage the condensers ,i think its Trench art of sorts

That could be one possible theory,but the holes are both identical in depth
of 8mm and looks like they were done by a mill as they are bottomed out flat,and threaded down to the bottom,with no damage to the fuse internals.

Idealy if you were mounting it i would have thought it would have looked better standing on a plinth,although i like the thought of it possibley being
a BD fuse but will hopefully have more light thrown on it.

Best phil

What about husband and wife intials a sweethearts token !

Thing is Steve most trench art or initials or such like were usually engraved
and this fuse came from Germany which could still be a name of sorts
but just seems to much in a weird place to be of any sort of momento
work.

Best phil

Those letters look factory stamped to me.
Ive a 15 and 17 drilled and according to Dave Sampson,Ben and Steve Mcgregor they are deffo BD made holes.No plinths involved! lol
Phil,Clean out the holes the best you can mate as there could be sealing gunk or general gack blocking access to a selector switch?
The holes are probably threaded for a sealing plug once the selector had been set to whatever those letters stand for?
...If they were a 'sweethearts' initials then the guy had 2 birds on the go....lol! Steve,im surprised at your answers!
Wait until Harry or Jack dig up some paperwork/manuals..patience on this one pal,i think its a special one.

best

Waff

Last edited:
Im going to have a good look through my 25's tomorrow as i cant recall that 'bs.' stamping before?

waff

Looking logically there is no reason for drilling into the fuze at that position, you would only damage the condensers inside, if you wanted to remove the tar , you would undo the 3 screws and remove the top , personly i think there is no mystery the intials are the officer or Sapper and his wife, and this is a wartime gift.
Bs is in the book Paul H.J. Nuuchtrag offenbach Often found on (55) fuzes

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough on the bs,have now found it in the book but whats with the full stop on the end? Plenty of bs in this thread too! lol ;)
What im trying to say is that no-one would drill into the condensors as you say,they would drill the empty body and have the innards re-worked prior to drilling to suit?, hence experimental....
Yes,of course one would open the top up to put in the re-worked innards and match up the holes with the (possible) selector switches.
Sorry buddy,i aint wearing the 'plinth mounted' or 'wartime sweetheart' theories at all!
No sir...

Waff

Hi Paul without knowing where that fuze came from we will never know , i have a fuze with a name scratched into it , which i know the provanance of its the guy who gave it to me .

Phil,If your game enough then can you possibly strip down this fuze please?
That will prove if it indeed has new experimental innards?

best

waff

Hi Paul without knowing where that fuze came from we will never know , i have a fuze with a name scratched into it , which i know the provanance of its the guy who gave it to me .

I too have a 15 with the word 'LOS' scratched in too.Its a mystery to me also.
Now if you look at Phil's 25,its deffo not scratched.Its either stamped or machine engraved?(not sure what the method used was?)

best

waff