What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elsie Mine - What's in a name???

Ammotech

Ordnance approved
Would anyone know why the Mine AP C3 was named Elsie?
The only thing that I can come up with is an old document which describes the development and description of the mine as it was brought in service. More specifically, it states that "this paper describes the groundburst type, non-metallic anti-personnel mine XC-3 commonly known as "Elsie", so the only thing that I can think of is Elsie is derived from "XC" (I know that it is far fetched but...)
Any ideas out there????

Shaped charged Elsie A/P.

Had a go at all the different country marks for this mine but can't work out why Elsie it was at one time the only mine to have a shaped charge but even including the "S" still no link, good question

REgards John

Attachments

• AP Mine Elsie.pdf
    29.5 KB · Views: 82
could be a long shot but knowing what soldiers are like making names from official nomenclature if you ignore the first 4 letters of drill you get left with L C3. Elsie?
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• elsie mine.jpg
    elsie mine.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 46
EOD - Yes, that's the one
EODONE - Thanks for trying and thank you for the document as I didn't have it in my library.
PAUL THE GRENADE - Never know, I could be. I am just wondering if the person that came up with it decided to dedicate it to his wife, mother... (or actually mother-in-law...LOL)