What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of a good run?...

waffenamt

Hi Chaps,
Sorry ive not been able to answer some posts and PM`s until now.
I stopped over at my pals house on Saturday night as we were off to Scotch Corner military fair.Im absolutely knackered after the long round trip.
Well the day started of well as i had a bit of a banging head(due to alcohol and a late night!) when my pal hammered on the spare room door to wake me up.
Waff gets up,sorts a brew apiece and we set off...About 40 miles from the venue, I pipes up to Mick "Have you noticed its still inky black outside and there isnt a hint of dawn anywhere?"..Mick replies"Uh-oh!!,I didnt wind the clocks back last night!"..No bloody wonder its still dark as its really about 4.30!!!
After smoking endless ciggies parked on the still closed services we finally get to the venue.I didnt sell a stitch or bought anything so im now 25 down on the day due to table costs and fuel.:tinysmile_cry_t4:
Ah well!,You win some lose some.Im wondering if the current financial situation has now creaped into our collecting area?..
The only good thing was my free curry on the way home as i fix my local Indian restaurants beer pumps and dont charge!

Is it the end of a good run then for all of us collectors perhaps?..or did i just have a bad day?

best

Waff

Last edited:
Hi Paul,i dont think a recession will change what people spend on there hobby,and definitely not on beer! Was there much Brit stuff around? I think the lack of sensibly priced stuff is putting people off? Ive never been to any of these arms fairs,but have been told by a few people its not the place to get a bargain as all the good stuffs gone before the doors open.If there were any round here i could make my own opinions.Tony:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hi Tig,:tinysmile_grin_t:

Mick didnt do so bad but ive noticed that bullets seem to be the `in` thing at the moment?
I didnt see anything whatsoever on my collecting scene,Mick saw a few bits and bobs of Brit stuff but didnt think it was much copp?
I def noticed an awful lot of the same gear thats always at shows,but im not blaming anyone if the collection releases have dried up.Thats why i wondered have the good days ended for a while at least then?
Looks like lean times for all then?

best

waff

Perhaps your right, me and Dave have discussed this a lot. The big problem is the amount of collectors. Look at the Bocn membership,when i came on there were 40 ish i think. 1 year later its 500 plus! Also a lot of collectors are reluctant to be known as they fear being targets for participating in a legal hobby,due to the ongoing terrorist threat. So how many people are after the same bits? More than we think. Thats why if i see a nice item i will pay the price,its getting harder to find.Thats my opinion anyway! Feel sorry for the newcomers though.Tony.

I see your point there Tig on todays newcomers.Ive only collected for the last 3 years although ive always had that interest in militaria.
I have to say hats off to the sellers that still turn up to the shows and of course the customers too.
New stuff does seem to be thin on the ground at the moment,so time and the current situation will tell.

best

waff

Hi Paul
Sorry about your Naff day at scotch corner, as its been said with the finicial market in turmoil no wonder people are buying anything , ive spoken to several dealers recently who say the same thing its bits of webbing and things that sell not expensive ordnance and the age of collectors are mid 40,s very strange

Hi Steve,
All will be fine about the crap day after a damned good kip!,i prolly will be laughing about it tomorrow!
I think a lot of us `fuziliers`:tinysmile_twink_t: in our 40`s will prob have got our interest(i certainly did!) from the late seventies TV series `Danger UXB`.
I only decided to get my finger out and collect after i stopped being a luddite and got a bloody computer at last!
Wish i had done it a lot sooner but that`s the way it was!..
As for the collecting drought at the moment then i suppose the best advice for all will be to ride out the storm and see what happens?

cheers

waff

Last edited: