What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EOD suit question

I heard an interview years ago on the radio and the EOD guy was asked about the suit and he said that it would not save you if something big went wrong, although it would enable you to be buried in one piece.....!

Weasel.

Thanks weasel......wonder if they come with a money back guarantee :laugh:

The current suits used world wide with a good reputation is the Med-Eng range. The owner of the company used to test these suits himself by setting of 1kg of plastic explosives while squating 1 meter away.
A bomb suit must be treated like a priced garment for it is made of kevlar & other specialized ceramics.

The reality is that when it is a car bomb, anything bigger than a current 81 mm mortar you will have a problem.

In South Africa suits were manufactured but never updated or tested until 2003 when it was discovered that 95% of the suits were useless. We then started importing the Med Eng 7 & 9's but the price tag is hefty due to the exchange rate.

Thats something when the manufacturer physically tests the suits himself...thanks for the explanation as well,,why didnt The south african manufacturer upgrade there own suits ,i can never understand why a country buys in stuff which can a be made at home ,,

..suit up Spott

MEDENG_big_sch.jpg

suit up..no thanks dillo ill leave that to them that are paid to wear them,,ill stay with my high-vis vest and my special latex weekend suit

South Africa found that after 1994 that we had sold most of the technology to British & USA companies. We were also under the impression that explosives would not be a further threat, thus the need for these suits did not exist. In Operation Rachel, Mozambique the condition under which we work did not allow for bomb suits.
The problem only became clearly visible in 2002 with the WSSD conference in Jhb, then we had to buy fast & furious, but only 2 suits were bought from Med-Eng. In October 2002 the Boeremag happened & we shifted focus from rural to city bomb disposal. Thus 4 more were bought for 64 national bomb technicians.

bomb suits

Basically the suit will protect the wearer from an explosion on the way to and from the device.

The physical properties of blast overpressure cannot be controlled so any sizable explosion will result in a bad day.

Remember the Russian operator who was caught in a blast he was next to his only injuries were comensurate with blast.

Remember 'It's all good fun till someone looses an eye'

I've seen people knocked out cold, but survive a South African 155mm HE projectile go off on them from about 20 feet away

In the past few years I've done physical testing on a number of Med Eng suits on 2 different occasions for the manufacturer. While we tested them with a number of different size charges under a wide variety of scenarios I can assure you that in no way did I ever witness any human being used in the target suit. It would never happen on a government owned test facility. I call BS!!!

Sorry to disappoint but I have had that story confirmed by company reps both in Australia and Canada. However to put it into context, the individual did this quite some time ago. MED ENG are up to at least EOD 8/9. Australia adopted the EOD 7 in the mid 80's when it was as I understand it a new design. We are talking about this testing occuring on suit versions prior to that so late 1970's early 1980's.

In the past few years I've done physical testing on a number of Med Eng suits on 2 different occasions for the manufacturer. While we tested them with a number of different size charges under a wide variety of scenarios I can assure you that in no way did I ever witness any human being used in the target suit. It would never happen on a government owned test facility. I call BS!!!

Gov't owned no but I'll dig around and I can probably find the video with the owner of Med-Eng taking a hit in the suit from a 1lb charge at about 10 ft.

That would be very interesting to see, now they dressup a manikin that is stuffed full of electronic sensors and fire the shot then.

The published figures for the (now out of service) British Mk 4 suit were to provide protection from half a pound of commercial explosives wrapped in a pound of nails at a distance of one metre. The breast plate was also to protect against a 7.62mm bullet fired at 11 metres. The current Mk 6 is said to offer substantially better protection but in the final analysis no suit will protect you from a large charge close up. It may allow you to be buried in more or less one piece though. In the UK forces, suits are only worn when dealing with IEDs. CMDs are done in clean rig.

I'm wearing a Mk 4 suit in my avatar pic!:bigsmile:

They issued game Wardens

Bullet proof vests, when they were asked if the vests would stop hunting bullets the answer was no, but they would be able to recover the bullet for ballistic testing.

A South African game ranger and professional hunter asked if I could get him a decommissioned suit as he thought it would be just the thing to wear when going into dense bush after wounded leopard and lion. Bit tricky to bring a rifle to bear, though, even without the breast plate.