What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evapo-Rust

Dronic69

Premium Member
Evening All,

Just curious in those that may have used the "Evapo-Rust" product?

It states that it will remove rust and won't affect any paint work underneath?

I have an item (Mild Steel) that has surface rust both on the bare steel which also extends over a part painted section.

The before and after photos looks promising as highlighted in this BOCN thread:

Anyone else obtained similar results?
Is soaking the item the way to go?

All feedback and thoughts welcome.
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
I use it. If you leave it too long - over night, etc - it could give you some issues, but use it per the instructions and it is a miracle worker. You can re-use it a number of times depending on how much rust you actually remove, but it takes longer (thus the overnight issue). I buy it by the gallon.

Firstly, thank you for the great feedback!
Yeah I would be closely monitoring the progress.

Interesting ......according to the website, it states that it doesn't affect non-oxide paints:

From my limited painting knowledge, oxide paints are normally used for anti-rusting purposes - i.e. protect bare steel etc.
How would one know if a non-oxide /oxide paint was used? (apart from testing a small area)

The item I have in question is a torpedo striker mechanism with attached whiskers - of which the tips have been painted black (looks to be the original paint job)
Were most projectiles painted with non-oxide paints?
Thanks
Cheers

It's a good product, but one word of caution. Immerse the whole object otherwise you may well get a 'tide' line which will not disappear with subsequent treatment. It depends how long you leave it but I learnt this to my cost.

Concur with all previous comments. Good stuff.
I've left items to soak for a week with no ill effects. Only paint with rust incursions is affected. Otherwise, paint is untouched.
My 5 gallons has been in a bucket in excess of 5 years. Have regenerated with water.(Keep a lid on it, it evaporates.) The active ingredients are still producing rust removal results.

I left a projectile with original paint (presumably enamel) in Evapo Rust for 4 hours and there was no paint left. So don’t use it for too long and monitor frequently

A couple of reference pics of the item in question - IMHO it's the original paint (hence I don't want to "rush" into it) as I have seen another one with the exact same black painted areas:

BOCN-1.jpg
BOCN-2.jpg
BOCN-3.jpg

I'll definitely give it a ago and closely monitor the process.

Thank you all for all the great feedback!!!
Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
The other option is perhaps used a rust converter, which attacks the active rust - but is more acidic.

I'm not worried re the bare metal as I can get the Dremel onto those parts...........

Hum - I'll sleep on it :cool:

It is a great product. The photo shows a before and after photo of my Linco needle firing pistol. :D
This is how it looks after a couple of hours submerged in Evapo Rust,
and no cleaning or mechanical cleaning has taken place.
This is how it literately looked after I pulled it from the Evapo bath.
Evapo Rust.jpg

The other option is perhaps used a rust converter, which attacks the active rust - but is more acidic.

I'm not worried re the bare metal as I can get the Dremel onto those parts...........

Hum - I'll sleep on it :cool:

Workshop Hero Metal Rescue Rust Removal Bath 5L - MR5​

SKU: A1290583

Haven't tried this product, but looks to be similar. The example in their video seems to retain the paint. available from Repco.
I note that Evaporust is now a CRC product, previously was an independent brand, must have been bought out or sold the name?.

Workshop Hero Metal Rescue Rust Removal Bath 5L - MR5​

SKU: A1290583

Haven't tried this product, but looks to be similar. The example in their video seems to retain the paint. available from Repco.
I note that Evaporust is now a CRC product, previously was an independent brand, must have been bought out or sold the name?.

Thanks for this - I checked it out and it seems to be almost an identical product - instructions /cautions were virtually the same.

Yes - CRC now distributes the product.

Well, there must be a God (which one I'm not sure off :) ) as I found a perfect Evapo-Rust test piece - a small hand axe with similar surface rust and BLACK paint:

EV-1.jpg

EV-2.jpg

Interesting, the instructions recommend rinsing the item in water prior to dropping it into the solution:

To my shock /horror - while I was rag drying it (this was after just rinsing in cold water) the black paint started to come off on one side -

EV-3.jpg

The other side seem less affected or not affected at all
EV-4.jpg

OK as it was just a test piece into the bucket it went - monitoring the progress.

After approx. 1 hour:

EV-5.jpg

EV-6.jpg

I rinsed again and carefully dab dry - after which the paint section seems to have now stabilized.

I tested the striker and as expected the black painted sections didn't show any signs of coming off after the water rinse Phew!
(Yeah - they don't make them like in the old days!!)
Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Interesting results.......

The striker mechanism was soaked for up to six hours with regular monitoring every 30-60mins.
Most of the bare metal rust was removed, however there were still rust spots present on the painted areas even after 6 hours albeit diminishing some what.
I removed the item, rinsed then let dry - after a short time very light rust was forming all over.
I decided to used a rust converter and that actually removed the remaining spots on the painted areas.
Let dry and dremel the bare metal areas with a small circular wire brush attachment.

Here is the final result:

BOCN-6.jpg
BOCN-7.jpg
20240210_213454.jpg

Just for comparison:

BOCN-10.jpg

Note:
I was conscious of not wiping/ rubbing the painted areas while the item was in solution and even after rinsing, left the item to drip dry. Seems the solution does to a degree softens the paint!
Once dry the painted areas could be handled as normally.

Quite happy with the result!
Cheers
Drew

BTW - It is the original paint!!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Evaporust claim too that if you leave a clean solution on the item it will resist corrosion. Handy if you have a delay before painting. Bare steel will rust in front of your eyes otherwise!

Evaporust claim too that if you leave a clean solution on the item it will resist corrosion. Handy if you have a delay before painting. Bare steel will rust in front of your eyes otherwise!
Perhaps I should just do away with the suggested water rinse after soaking and let it drip dry! :)
CRC also recommends using RUST-BLOCK - yes another one of their products