What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

evaporust warning.

The problem is that we cannot see the pic as we are not members of that forum. But if you "forget" a metal item on a rust remover... this thing can easily happen, it is just a common sence matter.

remarkable, but not a special evaporust-problem, I think.
most important for any chemical treatment: an appropriate sized container to keep the item fully submerged, and please, not to forget it there! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

I wonder why he is so suprised by the results, after all the item is designed to strip rust off metal. I guess the product settled after so long and the active agent worked at the waterline. I think he is just frustrated at his own negligence!!

regards Kev

That's too bad, it WAS a restorable air cleaner. Although it only ate the metal at the "water-line"

It says right on the label your not supposed to partially submerge items, they have to be fully submerged, or it will etch the metal, or in this case, EAT the metal at the "water-line" when left in for long periods.

There was a thread a week ago or so, and it was asked if evapo-rust was OK to use on painted objects, and I personally would not use this product on painted items, only bare metal objects.

I would have no problem dunking an air cleaner as long as it came out of the tub looking like a 71 GSX, remarkable....Dano

There was a thread a week ago or so, and it was asked if evapo-rust was OK to use on painted objects, and I personally would not use this product on painted items, only bare metal objects.

I've used it on painted items and it works but be advised that it softens the paint so you must immediately rinse the item in warm water and let it dry completely before doing anything else with it.

That's too bad, it WAS a restorable air cleaner. Although it only ate the metal at the "water-line"

It says right on the label your not supposed to partially submerge items, they have to be fully submerged, or it will etch the metal, or in this case, EAT the metal at the "water-line" when left in for long periods.

That makes sense. At the waterline, air + water attacks iron to create rust, which is then instantly removed by Evaporust.

Tony.

On a similar subject I clean beach-found fuzes and driving band in cheap cola. Once I used half of an aluminium grenade tin as my container, forgot about it and two months later found that the cola had eaten holes in the aluminium - the fuzes I had been cleaning were now an orange-brown colour. Nomally I bath things for no more than a few days.

sorry to drag up an old point,but I'm pleased that folk are aware of the problems you can experiance with any such chemical.
Ive heard so many amazing stories of this evaporust as if it was being 'advertised' on here,and like it was the next best thing.

Its great that we can get together and give an informed opinion,it helps new collectors and veterans alike,and its something I really appreciate about this site.:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

We have to think that when use a chemical product we have to do it as the product states, if not, accidents will happen for sure.