What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ever seen one of these

Here is something that should be of interest to early grenade collectors. It is a ball that is lit on inside for igniting grenades that needed flame to light. It is described as thus: Igniter ball - for igniting the grenades that had only the type of fuzes needed lit by flame or glowing match. This is a spherical ball with one large hole and three smaller ones (for draft to keep match inside glowing). Appearantly this thing was lit then used to light the match light grenades. It is listed as a French item and was dug and restored in the 1980's in France. I've never seen the likes and the picture is poor because I had to photograph my computer monitor to get it. You can see it by going to Great War Militaria web-site, click on French, then click on weapons and there it is in the French weapons section. I would normally be very interested in such a piece but 250.00 is a bit steep for my liking. It is very interesting to say the least...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 339.jpg
    Picture 339.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 70
Hey Dano,
I have seen one other, a few years ago, I do not remember the selling price, but it was out of my range.
Gus

another

Thanks Gus, I was mostly wondering if it is a legit piece. I had never seen nor heard of one. I would like to have it but just won't pay that many bones for it. Interesting go with piece though. Thanks again...Dano

Hey Dano,
I have wondered about the GWM discription, I would think that a cigar or punk would be a lot easier to produce. I wounder what was inside the ball... was it a flamable metal? it had to have some long lasting material to fuel it to be of any use.
I think there are a lot of other items out there that will find their way into my collection before I go after one of these, unless it is cheap.
Best wishes
Gsu

fancy punk

Hi Gus, Yes for that kind of money some damage could be done in other ordnance areas. I was wondering if it is even what they say it is? That's kind of why I posed the question. Was just wondering how many have seen them. It is out of my price range anyway. If I were to spend that kind of money, it would have to be a German WW1 grenade that I know what it is and want it real bad. Like you said, an over complicated punk. Dano