What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EX Royal Navy Saluting Charge pre WW1

Millsman

Premium Member
I've just aquired a rather unusual round. This is a case and cap for a 12pdr Naval Saluting Charge (a blank) complete with inert primer, 2 (empty) charge bags and brass cap which has a shaped wooden block attached allowing the charges to be stacked. It is Dated 1902 and came from a RN ship that sank before WW1. The shell was made by VSM (Vickers). The primer is marked R/I\L over a V - dated 09/02 and has a S on it as well (Royal Laboratories obviously).

I can't find much trace of these shells so I assume it must be a rare one. Any information would be useful.

Thanks - John

Hi John,
Sounds very nice. The cases for the 12-Pdr blanks show up much less frequently than those for the full service round, and to get it with all the internal bits and pieces is really good.

As for info, try and download copies of the Treatise on Ammunition for 1905 and 1915, or the Handbook on Ammunition 1924 (I know that at least the last one can be downloaded from this site). All these will have lots of info on this blank, and will probably also have nice coloured plates of it as well.

Regards,
Roger.

Hi Roger

Thanks for your reply. I'll put up some photos tomorrow. The charge bags are spectacular at 109 years old.

John

Here are the photos as promised. Case with stacking block and lid, charge bags and primer.

John

Attachments

• SSCN8304.JPG
    SSCN8304.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 43
  • SSCN8303.JPG
    SSCN8303.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 42
  • SSCN8302.JPG
    SSCN8302.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 43
  • SSCN8300.JPG
    SSCN8300.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 31
  • SSCN8301.JPG
    SSCN8301.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 35
  • SSCN8299.JPG
    SSCN8299.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 37
Many thanks to Gordon Spragge for supplying this image of some date for this type of shell.

John

Attachments

• 12Pdr data 1898small.jpg
    12Pdr data 1898small.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 21