What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental Plastic Rotating Bands

EODGUY

Here are three experimental US Navy projectiles with different styles of plastic rotating bands. All are 3-inch size projectiles. The first two are Mk 23 Mod 0 AA projectile variations. The one on the left has a 1 inch wide band and the middle one a 1 1/4 inch wide band. The right projectile is unmarked and is 10 3/8 inches long. It has a multiple rotating band, the upper one having a raised flange at the base. There is a groove in the projectile body above the top band making me wonder if there were other experiments where four bands were used.

Attachments

• 3 inch Plastic RB.jpg
    3 inch Plastic RB.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 47
The one on the right

Might be for the 3" 70 cal, they have a groove and multiple "Probert" bands, this might be an experiment along those lines,the two lower bands are hidden in the neck of the case when loaded. This projectile is for a Probert barrel and might have a slightly smaller diameter and has a thin upper Band to compensate. The U.S. barrel that fires yours perhaps didn't have this squeeze feature. But I think the grove has something to do with the feed mechanism.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hello eodguy,

VERY INTERESTING plastic rotating bands! I've never seen plastic on such a large diameter projectile. Thanks for showing them to the group.

Best regards,

Randall

Rare items indeed !

Rare items indeed !

I know that at some point work was carried out on 105 mm Projectiles in the UK but sadly I never managed to get to see one.

Success was obviously had in certain calibres but apart from APFSDS rounds and a few more it seems to be mainly limited to the smaller calibres, and one (well this one anyway !) never see's the projectiles such as yours-very nice and as certain other gentlemen put - "Drool factor" indeed, thanks for showing us.

Rare items indeed !

I know that at some point work was carried out on 105 mm Projectiles in the UK but sadly I never managed to get to see one.

Success was obviously had in certain calibres but apart from APFSDS rounds and a few more it seems to be mainly limited to the smaller calibres, and one (well this one anyway !) never see's the projectiles such as yours-very nice and as certain other gentlemen put - "Drool factor" indeed, thanks for showing us.

Well there is this one too Chris - now safely in Wales :tinysmile_classes_t
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/57-mm-exptl-t4165.html

Nice shells Bob.
Dave.

I saw a Navy 5 inch projectile once at the Dahlgren Naval Test Activity years ago that had a plastic rotating band. That is the largest size I have ever seen. Somewhere buried in the garage or basement I have a fourth 3 inch projectile. If I recall though it is identical to one of the three I showed except for the color, the lack of a fuze and some rust. Haven't seen it in years though.

I have examples of the U.S. Navy 5 inch 54 cal projectile that uses the plastic rotating band. The projectile is made in two pieces the ogive and the boattail base. It was designed to have the explosive inserted in the middle encapsulated in plastic, like a large sausage. The projectile halves were then forced together under great pressure as the mating parts were designed to be an interference fit. The boattail rear of the projectile is very roughly knurled, and the rotaing band is built like a large tapered cup that locks on the rear of the projectile and engages the knurling. It is held on the base of the projo by a groove cut into the very bottom of boattail. It was basically a one-piece sabot, which I assume was shed when leaving the barrel.

I got my copies when I worked at the factory. Unfortunately we only had one rotating band (locked in my Boss' office) for show, as we only made the metal components. Our parts were hot forged from "High Frag" alloy and then lathe turned to finish them.

I was told that they were phased out, because the metal components were separating in the air after firing.

The projectile in the middle of the photo, left of the blue one. The top half is resting on the bottom half, as they won't fit together untill I turn the bottom piece down. You can also see some straight knurling on the bottom piece to increase friction between the two halves.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/medium-caliber-u-t54191.html?t=54191&highlight=inch+cal

Attachments

• 5%20inch%2054%20group%202.jpg
    5%20inch%2054%20group%202.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hello John,

BEAUTIFUL collection of naval 5-inch projectiles! THANKS for showing them.

Best regards,

Randall