What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental? rocket assisted HEAT rifle grenade

pzgr40

Premium Member
I got this slightly damaged and corroded factory cutaway model of an unknown –most probably experimantal- Rocket assisted HEAT rifle grenade and repaired it. The HEAT part of the grenade shows great resemblence to the ENERGA rifle grenade body, so I suppose it was a experimental RA-ENERGA grenade. Upon firing the grenade, the gasses propell the firing pin (red) forward, breaking the shear screw that keeps it in it’s backward position. The flame of the firing cap moves upward through the green channels into the rocket motor. The powder ring (black) ignites, the flame leaving through the four venturi’s (blue) at 90 degrees each, extending the maximum range of the grenade. The nose fuze is of the piezoelectric type, sending a electric ignition current into the electric base fuze of the HEAT charge. This base fuze was missing, so I made a dummy piece of aluminium. Upon firing , four spring loaded stabilisation fins pop out.
I was told this grenade was a Dutch experiment of the late 50’s of the last century. It was fired from the standard Nato rifle 22 mm dia rifle grenade adepter/flash hider.
Length of the grenade: 405 mm
Diameter : 75mm

Question: does anybody have a description, type designation or drawing of this rifle grenade.

Thanks in advance,
Regards , DJH

Attachments

• RA-HEAT rifle grenade.JPG
    RA-HEAT rifle grenade.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Rocket motor RA-HEAT rifle grenade.JPG
    Rocket motor RA-HEAT rifle grenade.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
DJ,
I know you get all excited over cutaways, but for ID purposes sometimes a full view is helpful as well - I'll check some grenade pubs.

Hi J, here a picture of the backside. Thanks for looking.
Regards DJH

Attachments

• RA-HEAT rifle grenade backside.JPG
    RA-HEAT rifle grenade backside.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
This is the best reference I've got on foreign rifle grenades. And this is about as close as I can come - it's close, but several differences as well. As you mentioned, maybe a developmental variant.

Attachments

• Book 1.jpg
    Book 1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Book 2.jpg
    Book 2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 69
BTW, they show two more HE models, a smoke and an illum, but no heat.