What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Explosive Bolts....

Hazord, thanks a lot! Now as you show it I remember that I have seen images of it somewhere already but did not know it was for the B-58.

Hi V40,Canberra canopy,the canopy I am describing was permenantly attached to the airframe,the crew entered through a crew access door just below the cockpit on the right side of the aircraft,when the pilot needed to eject the entire canopy lifted and was taken by the slipstream,leaving the pilot sitting in a big hole in the top of the nose section,on later Marks of Canberras fitted with the fighter style cockpit the windscreen stayed with the aircraft while just the bubble part of the canopy was ejected as with the Sabre,Hunter,Vulcan,and many other types,The ejection sequence on the Hunter(if my memory is still working)had a T handle between the pilot knees,when pulled this fired a cable cutter that severed the controls and allowed the control column to be automatically pulled forward out of the way of the pilots knees plus there were straps around the pilots legs which when the T handle was pulled fired a device which snatched the pilots legs back towards his seat thus minimising the danger to the pilots legs as he ejected,from your descriptions ejecting from an aircraft was fraught with danger made even worse as the aircraft got faster,
Regards,Don,

Once the EJS was initiated the capsules would immediately upon leaving the airplane throw out two sizable parachutes for a slow but consistent decent. The flotation device and the balloons around the bottom will be filled with air so that the capsule can float in any water environment such as in oceans, large lakes and large deep rivers. Even in a full blown hurricane cannot sink her. The bottom bags will also provide for a cushioned landing in any type of environment you can think off, such as a desert, jungle, and in a woodland area. No matter what the conditions are outside of the capsule you are protected from that environment. The capsule also contained the most exhaustive survival kit with a lot of components. These were stored in the back wall of the capsule in sealed plastic containers

If any requests come in wanting to know more about what each capsule had as far as survival componets, I will list everything you could expect to have behind you and above you?

Hi V40,thanks for that and thanks for an interesting post,the capsule ejection system is a vastly superior and safer method of ejection than the seats used in most aircraft but it obviously had huge weight penalties,it did of course mean that the crew could eject in complete safety,again many thanks for the information and posts,
Regards,Don,

Talking of complete safety reminds me of the F-111 which had no ejection seats at all.

Yes, the F111 had a number of problems. If the plane lost hydraulic pressure, it would cause the vertical stabilizer to shift to one side causing it to invert to an upside down position. Since it wasn't really a great idea to have the crew capsule leave the plane in that direction, there was a rocket motor on the underside of the plane to rotate it back to a capsule-up launch position. That allowed the crew capsule to eject vertical, but when it landed there wasn't any cushion under the capsule or the crew's seats, so they often broke their backs when the capsule hit the ground.

I second that. The line up of CCCP is just amazing. Out of all of them, I like the AN-2. Weasel, Take a good look at the two pictures of the AN-2. It plays an important role on what we are discussing.