What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Explosive Ordnance guide for Ukraine

Thanks for posting this. I reckon it should be a sticky until such time as it is updated.

I researched the AGS-17 automatic grenade launcher a few months ago and discovered that there have been two subsequent versions. The AGS-17 sight was marked as having a range of over 1700 metres. I came across one that was captured from the Iraqis, in Saudi, in 1991. There was also one in the museum at what used to be known as the Army School of Ammunition at DM Kineton. I wouldn't mind a pick up truck to carry one of these and a few hundred grenades - could come in very handy!

AGS-17 automatic grenade launcher.jpg
AGS-17 automatic grenade launcher with firing elevations & distances.jpg

Recently I read that Russia spent 11 % of its GDP on its defence budget, I think that was in about 2019. China is still increasing its % of GDP that it spends on defence. In recent years one was about 6 % of GDP, the following year it was 7 %. I think those years were 2017 and 2018 but don't quote me on that and I don't know how accurate those internet articles were. Meanwhile in the UK - and this is no secret - our government says it is committed to spending 2 % of GDP on defence while, at the same time, it merged the cost of military pensions into the defence budget. The overall outcome is that the UK now spends less on defence than it did before it reclassified military pensions as part of the defence budget. Why do buffoons become politicians? Do they think the public are stupid? Peace comes at the price of permanent vigilance, not partying buffoonery and lies. Sorry for the rant, I just feel that integrity is leaving the building, following after common sense.

Last edited:
Recently I read that Russia spent 11 % of its GDP on its defence budget, I think that was in about 2019. China is still increasing its % of GDP that it spends on defence. In recent years one was about 6 % of GDP, the following year it was 7 %. I think those years were 2017 and 2018 but don't quote me on that and I don't know how accurate those internet articles were.

/QUOTE]

Mind you that's 11% of an economy that is smaller that Italy's. That's partly the reason Russia has traditionally gone for large numbers of out of date weaponry. They also lack the production facilities for chips and other high tech devices.

In my opinion comparing pure financial values like the GDP is not suitable to compare Russia with countries of the western world. Economy is going more and more like in Soviet Union there - with state factories, low wages and resources like steel and energy almost for free. So they are able to get out much more out of a dollar than from the overpriced western industry.