What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Explosives and fires

ex.cd1

Good afternoon Gentlemen.
May I Please ask for help on what happens to TORPEX or HMX or any [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]explosive that [/FONT]may have been on fire then maybe put out with sea water?
The only items I can find are from the [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Encyclopedia of Explosives [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]saying that an explosive that has been subjected to elevated temperatures will have a reduced detonation velocity, nothing about fire type temperatures?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I know that some plastic bonded type explosive would carry on burn underwater.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Any ideas, ref or reports?? please would be off great help [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]YOURS AYE BC [/FONT]

The general rule of thumb is that exposure to fire changes the characteristics of the explosives, rarely for the better. It is not something that can accurately be predicted due to the number of variables. It is normally assumed that the understood safe handling characteristics are gone, and the explosive is destroyed as soon as possible.

Thank you US Subs ya my way of thinking for sure
was just looking for some ref to be able to use in a report
YOURS AYE