What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Explosives container or mine?

PREX1950

Hello,i saw the forum discusion on the item found on the beach by davekane a couple of weeks ago.it seem similar to an item that has turned up at a local scrap yard i frequent.as you can see from the photo it is a copper box 19 inches by 19 inches by 12 inches deep with a circular bronze lid.it is fairly battered with some bullet holes and has clearly been in the sea as there is marine encrustation on it .would it be of any interest to a collector ?as there is the oportunity to save it before it is melted down for scrap!i cannot see any markings on it but i guess it is ww2.any information would be gratefuly receivedP1010019w.jpg .regards peter.

Explosives container or mine

I'm sure it's a container for propelling (black powder) and quit old.

Chris

Hi Peter i think its a charge case , the Germans used one very similar (it could be German) but im sure one of our knowlegable members will clarify

Are there any numbers embossed in the metal anywhere? It certainly looks like a container of some sort.

The U.S. Navy UDT used some similar sized charges for bulk explosive jobs. I'll go through my files and see what I can dig up. The size and construction of the opening makes me lean toward it being a powder can, though.

helloff.png

Very similar Copperboxes were used (WW1,WW2) by the french navy and navy coast artillery.

These boxes contained the propellingpownder bags, to prevent humidity and water on board.

Differents models and forms exist.
I think that other contries had the same method and boxes.

pot.gif

I got a couple of brass powder containers size 26" x 17" x 14" painted a
light blue color similar to the French 'horizon bleu' and identical in size. One
has the markings LOT, 1917 and what looks like a small broad arrow and
the other one has no markings but only the remains of a German paper
label inside the lit with the date 1942.

Regards, Jan