What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extreme cases

SG500

Premium Member
I've posted a few of these on the forum before so thought it was time to pull them together for a family photo.

The photograph shows a selection of rounds which with one exception started life as larger calibre and were necked down for various reasons.

From left to right:
The Bofors 20 x 311/SR is a necked down Bofors 40 x 411/SR anti aircraft round. The cases were reused war time dated cases for tests done in around 1960. They were used for fuze testing.

The 20 x 234/B is a necked down 30 x 184/B designed in Germany in the second world war. I am not aware of any genuine cases. A very limited series of these were manufactured from original Rheinmetall factory drawings and sold to collectors. They are clearly marked on the base with an “R” in a circle.

The 20 x 197/SR is a necked down USN 28 x 198/SR anti aircraft round. The “weapon” was a test barrel and was used to test projectiles at very high velocity in the 1950's..

The 20 x 181/R is NOT necked down. I’ve included it to give an idea of scale. The reason for the large cartridge case is because this ones a recoilless round with a blow out base. The weapon was adopted in 1942 by the Swedish arms as the “Pansarvarnsgevar M42”. It was a recoilless anti tank rifle with a weight of 12kg. Armour piercing capacity was apparently 35-40mm at 200m.

The 25 x 144 is a necked down 30 x 173 GAU 8. With the demise of the GAU 7 there was still interest in a gun which could fire 3000 grain 25mm shells at a muzzle velocity of 4000 fps so some 30mm GAU 8 cases were necked down and fitted with 25mm GAU 7 projectiles. Two different case lengths were manufactured, one with a 6 inch case, the other with a 5.75 inch case. The development ceased when no one was interested in investing money in the project.

The one on the right is the 20 x 135 which appears to be a necked down 25 x 136 KBA. I don’t have any more information on this so if anyone has any info I would be interested in knowing more about it.

All rounds shown are INERT and legal to own.

Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Dave, great photo!!

That Bofors round has to be one of the 'oddest' rounds I have ever seen. I should imagine extremely scarce?

regards Kev