What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FAC Variation for collecting

Hi All,
Just looking for a little info. Last year I got a condition added to my FAC for ammunition collecting. However I obviouly didnt ask for the correct thing as I can only collect standard section 1 ammo. Basically serpluss ball ammunition. Does anyone else also collect live ammunition and what did you request on your variation form?

Kind regards

Chris

Hi,
The wording should be something like -
A firearm or ammunition identified by
an asterisk in Part 1 or Part 2 of the
certificate must be possessed, purchased
or acquired by the holder of the certificate
only for the purpose of its being kept
or exhibited as part of a collection.​
- Not to be fired.

If you go to your Firearms Licensing Dept and ask for your certificate to be varied to allow for the collection of Sect1 and Sect 5 ammunition as allowed by the following extract from HO Guidance to the Police on Firearms Law -

3.29​
Section 5A(1) of the 1968 Act refers to
collectors and states that the authority of
the Secretary of State is not required for a
collector to possess, purchase, acquire, sell or
transfer any of the firearms or ammunition

listed in section 5(1A) provided they have a
suitably conditioned, valid firearm certificate
or permit. The weapons and ammunition
listed under section 5(1A) are those in
categories (ix) to (xv) above. Section 5A(3)
allows collectors or their representatives
from another Member State to possess,
purchase or acquire (but not to sell or
dispose of) weapons and ammunition
controlled by subsection 1A if they are
recognised by the law of that State as
collectors or as a body concerned in the​
cultural or historical aspects of weapons.

Just adding a few more extracts from the HO guidance in respect of collections –

Ammunition may be collected of itself, including
expanding, incendiary or armour-piercing
ammunition or explosives that would
otherwise be prohibited under section 5(1A)
of the 1968 Act.

Evidence that a person is a member of a
relevant society (for example the Historical
Breechloading Smallarms Association (HBSA)
or the European Cartridge Research
Association) might be taken as an indication
that they have a genuine interest in collecting,
but this is not a requirement.
Some collectors may wish to
collect ammunition either as a part of a wider
collection of firearms or in its own right.
Finally
Speak to your FL Dept and explain what it is that you do and what you would like to acquire. Please remember however that not every Police force will have collectors of ammunition as certificate holders. If this is the case, then be polite and patient, point them to the HO Guidance that we (they) have to work to, ask them to talk to other forces for advice and guidance. In England and Wales all certificates are now available to every force on a national database (NFLMS). In Scotland each force has its own database and cannot see anything other than its own data.

exat808,
Thank you for the info. I will speak with my FEO before putting my variation in. I just wasnt 100% sure as how to word it. Hopefully it shouldnt be too much of an issue. I had never herd of the European Cartridge Research Association. I will take a look at there site. I was getting most of my info on collecting from my jane's ammunition handbook and online. I have been collecting inert for a while. However as I have a FAC I decided to collect Live as well

Regards

Chris

Last edited:
Variation

Whilst everything exat808 says is correct, the licensing authorities can get themselves confused.

My own FAC (Metropolitan Police) has the wording about "Ammunition identified in Part 2 ....for the purposes of collection - Not to be fired)" and then in Part 2 lists all my shooting ammunition as well as the collecting ammo!

The actual variation for the collection is:
"Assorted calibres" for all the normal stuff, then
"Section 5 (1A) d" for incendiary
"Section 5 (1A) e" for AP
"Section 5 (1A) f" for expanding
"Section 5 (1A) g" for all Section 5 projectiles.

The quantities will depend on how much you actually want.

You should certtainly Join the ECRA and also perhaps the International Ammunition Association. Have a look at the IAA forum as well. http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewforum.php?f=8

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Has anyone got a copy of the ECRA application form please?
The one i got from Martin was 'too big' on the page and wont print off without missing half the info on it!

best

waff

TonyE,
Cheers for the info. Thats the exact wording i was looking for. I also just spoke to a friend who comes under the same licensing police force as me who also has metallic cartridge collecting on his FAC. He is going to provide me a photocopy of the overleaf on his cert to show me what to ask for.

Currently my condition say's : The holder of this certificate may acquire and possess a maximum of 500 rounds of ammunition to wich Section 1 of the Firearms act 1968 (as amended) aplies as part of a collection

So basically no Soft Point, Hollow point, incendiary, AP or HE

However as they didnt list anything on the overleaf under ammo allowance. When I attempted to purchase some hungarian surplus tracer 7.62x54r at a fair a while back the seller wouldnt allow me to purchase. I have been meaning to send in the paperwork for a while. However as I need a 1-4-1 variation on a slot I have, I might as well sort this out at the same time. Im going to ask for an increase to 2000 rounds. That should allow me to purchase full unopend boxes or part boxes that I might trade single rounds with other cartridge collectors.

I have had a good look at the ECRA website and will probably contact them to join. However there doesnt seem to be any information on membership fees. Any Idea how much it costs?

Kind regards

Chris

Has anyone got a copy of the ECRA application form please?
The one i got from Martin was 'too big' on the page and wont print off without missing half the info on it!

best

waff

Sorted by member Archmoco. :)
Thank you!

best

waff

Thank you all for the information. Im sending my variation off later this week. Im also going to Join the ECRA as sugested

All the best

Chris