What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fake oe Real...

jeeeensy

Help!! Is there any one out there who can tell ne if this is a genuine trench knife.
bought it but have doubts about it and seller is getting snotty when asked about it.
( usuall i suppose if trying to hide something )
Cheers
jeeeensy

I'll stick to buying Grenades next time.

The Knife in question........
1a1_nick_1_8e05_3_1_.jpg

What was it bought as?
eg ww1 or ww2 trench knife etc?
Why do you think it is dodgy and who is the seller?
Any chance of a close up on the makers marks please.
all helps!:)

best

waff

Hi Waff,

Thanks Spotter for sorting piccs..

This is the string of E-mail i haver have had.

1st reply on winnig item.

Dear Nick,
Hi and Congratulations on being the winning bid for this authentic WW1 German TrenchKnife. If this knife could only talk...
An invoice has been sent to you and as soon as your payment is received, your item will be shipped within 24 hours. Let us know when you receive it.
Thank you, Nick, for participating in our auction.
sincerely,
Karens.Dragon

2nd reply after asking was it genuine.

Dear Nick,
As we never had any formal certificate of authenticity when we got the knife, we relied on the antique owner's information as he has owned his store for many years. If I remember correctly, he said he acquired this knife from the estate of a retired military man. And that is all we know. It was enough information for us at the time.
That's the best I can do to answer your question.
As these kinds of inquiries are usually addressed while an item is still in the auction phase, we would appreciate your getting back to us as soon as possible.
Hope that answers your question.
Sincerely,
Karens.Dragon

3rd reply after asking is the scabbard popper and leather is nearly new to look at and when i pointed the out this is the repsonce i got from the seller.

The knife is the knife. The leather pouch is new. We never represented or even mentioned the leather holder in the ad. That was a added for handling purposes only so that people would not touch the knife itself.

These knives were mass produced in India etc: and cost 20.00ish so iam natuaryl suspicous, even more when ask a sensible question i get a snotty reply.

I,ll be honest nick i dont collect knives but this looks fake to me,the wood looks new ,and like you said the Leather ???? on the scabbard has no wear inside or out ,hope you didnt pay too much for it

cheers waff never thought of that ,lets see if they come up with an answer for Jeeensy

This seems to be a perfect case of buyer beware ask any questions that you have before you bid, it really is to late to ask if its genuine after youve won the item.
Weve all had are fingers burnt at one time or another (one particular ebayer comes to mind but I won't mention any names as he seems to be popular with some of the members here).
If the sellers evasive in there answers, wont send better picture or just doesnt answer your questions then be very cautious.

quote quatermass,
Weve all had are fingers burnt at one time or another (one particular ebayer comes to mind but I won't mention any names as he seems to be popular with some of the members here

Quatermass dont worry you can say what you want here as long as its nothing offensive or turns into a witch hunt..everyone has the right to their opinion...spotter

wasnt me was it ....:blush:

I'm not willing to put my head above the parapet on this one!
The ordnance collecting communitys a small one, If you put all the BOCN members together then I think we'd all be surprised how many faces we recognized from the fairs.
I just don't want to p*ss anyone off because one day they may just have that case (37X123R!) or projectile that I'm after.
I'm sure he's not a member.

P.S. it was'nt you spotter!:laugh:

Well i do agree with your earlier post though too mate about getting stung.
I too have been done in the `early` days as well off `popular` dealers.
Im ok now as im under my pals wing learning the ropes!:) (although im baffled with anything none-german ww2!:laugh: )

best

waff

Hi Quatermass, you wont pi55 any one of in the UK the seller lives in the states. feel free to comment.
paid 70.00 for it. if it is a replica then 50.00 over the top.