What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFE Cert

18pounder

Not sure if this has already been answered.
Sorry if it has.

How to I get FFE Certs,how much do they cost,where can it be carried out,and can the examiner gurantee no damage is caused in the assesment?

Also,do they become registered to the owner,and if so wouldnt you become liable to hand in your collection for destruction if the law changed?
Is there someone who knows for sure the procedure exactly?

Thanks alot
18pounder:eek:oh:

Hi,

I always understood that any member of the Institute of Explosive Engineers could sign a FFE form. I also understand that for commonwealth countries a British Army FFE form will suffice. I may be wrong but I think it may be right.

Fairfax

thankyou spotter and fairfax
sorry spotter,I didnt see the previous items on FFE

thanks guys anyway
Doug
p.s. I looked at Ramorak site and read that they drill into cavities to make sure their FFE, blimey...dont like the idea of that either...
do they always drill into stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I always understood that any member of the Institute of Explosive Engineers could sign a FFE form. I also understand that for commonwealth countries a British Army FFE form will suffice. I may be wrong but I think it may be right.

Fairfax

Officially only the manufacturer of the item can issue a certificate stating its FFE. However, a competent person can also do the same. it is not law in the UK to have/hold a FFE cert as live items will be taken away and destroyed, with other the property of the holder (unless stolen of got by dubious means). I am a MIExpE and this does not in any say you can sign anything FFE just that you have achieved a level of understanding in the explosive field. RAF Armourers, RLC Ammo Techs and NAVY Artificers are some that can sign FFE Certs due to their knowledge of explosives and experience of items within the military.

Duty of care come into this a lot as museums do have that duty to ensure the safety of the public. There are only a few officially registered that hold FFE'd items and are usually looked after by the Military.

There are also come companies out there that offer to FFE items for you at a cost.

That said, I say again it is not law to have a certificate but if you do it is a piece of mine but how do you know the item does not contain energetic material or chemical composition.

The ideal thing to do is have your own register, number the item and log where you got it or sent it too. That way if it turns up somewhere else or stolen from you it may be returned to you, and a few questions from the police.

That is a general over view as this subject is long, boring and incredibly not very well governed within the civilian world. In the Military the rules are very comprehensive and are better than the former.

I am very clued up on this subject and if you need any help, please PM me.

drill holes show that the only way that item could hurt anybody is if they drop it on their toes.