What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

filling factory monogram

collector

Premium Member
Does anybody have an idea which filling factory belongs to this monogram?
a no.117 fuze made by RENOLD, filling factory V.A.N.
I'm unable to find it.

Robert
SAM_1146.jpgSAM_1144.jpg

VAN is usually associated with Vickers Armstrong Co Ltd, Bootle. REYOLDS is a Coventry company.

Further to Bonnex's reply.

VAN = Vickers Armstrong, Bootle, Cumberland - A war time, agency, explosives filling factory run by Vickers Armstrong.

For a brief period post war, engaged in the breaking down of ammunition.

TimG

Last edited:
Could I have your thoughts on this.

Ofcourse I am happy with the previous answers given, but wasn't happy about V.A.N is Vickers&Armstrong Bootle Cumberland... Where is the N for?
Which lead me through searching the national archives, the interweb, which lead me to find out that Bootle was a major shipyard. I am unable to find any ammunition filling factory associated with Bootle, Cumberland.

What I did find was: Armstrong Whitworth's munitions factory in Newcastle Upon Tyne (Lemington point). There was a major filling facility, nicknamed Canary Island.

As this location seems to be more obvious than Bootle shipyard. It does seem to explain the N. Please share your thoughts.

Robert

Robert,

You could be right but the address that Tim and I gave you is from 'official' lists of monograms. In my case this was from two lists. It could be that the Bootle address was the 'HQ' address to which contracts etc., were sent. Many firms used to have a HQ office address (typically in a major city) nowhere near the factory. If I can locate the Vickers history I will see if it makes any reference to VAN etc.

Robert,

I initially thought the same. However, there are two places called Bootle - one that's in Liverpool (or adjacent to) and where the docks are, the other, where the ordnance factory was is a short way up the coast in what was Cumberland and is now called Cumbria. There were three ordnance factories in close proximity. An explosives factory at Sellafied, run by Courtaulds. This, after the war became the site of one of the UK's first atomic power stations and was renamed Windscale to be latter renamed Sellafield. Seven miles down the coast was Drigg, another explosives factory run by Vickers. Then another seven miles down the coast was Bootle, as previously stated a filling factory run by Vickers.

The monogram for Drigg is D.G.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1947/apr/03/unemployment-south-cumberland

TimG

And I'm still eternally grateful for that list.
Drigg can be added too, the list is growing and growing.

Thank you for your input, it's great learning from the masters.
the search continues,

Robert

After again some research, not yet 100% clear as we are not the only one's who question the monogram V.A.N.

V.A.N. can be found as a gunmarking from Vickers Armstrong: http://www.vickersgun.com/markings.htm
They seem to refer to the national shell filling factory at Chilwell very near to Nottingham, Nottinghamshire.

Looks like this being the closest hit yet?

Robert