What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally got a Mills

Trenchwarfare

Took a while, but I finally got one. Appears to be complete, and never armed, or issued. No markings on the baseplug. Only mark, is a shield, cast into the body, under the spoon. Striker and spring are inside. Didn't want to put undue pressure on the spoon. M.P.

Attachments

• Picture 569.jpg
    Picture 569.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 570.jpg
    Picture 570.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 72
That's a very nice looking one. What's stamped on the base plug? Cheers Colin

Apparently there are no markings on the baseplug.... anyways, no worries about putting undue pressure on the "spoon" as there really is not that much stress induced by the spring. Congratulations on a nice example.

Here's a couple more shots, all cleaned up. I've seen pictures of this style base plug, that were stamped, instead of having cast markings. I think this one was "liberated" from the factory, before assembly, and final marking. Now, the final test: I paid $171.00 USD. How'd I do? Haven't seen many for sale, since they were banned on ebay, several years ago.

Attachments

• Picture 573.jpg
    Picture 573.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 574.jpg
    Picture 574.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 576.jpg
    Picture 576.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 61
Hi there,

a nice gren with the early small ringpull which is not so commonly found these days and in very good nick too. All the other parts look good too. not all the base plugs were marked so its not that unusual to find one like yours although the type is again not so common.
The shield on the front wont give you a clue to the maker ime afraid, its only a factory or foundry mark and quite a lot had this. Also, a nice example of a flat lever. Certainly go ahead and complete the gren by attaching lever to striker with the spring under tension, wont hurt it at all, after all, thats what it was designed to do. Just remember not to pull the pin with the base plug attached. If this still worries you, fit the striker without the spring, the gren will still look the part.
Nice gren, i would be proud to own it.

Andy

Very nice grenade! Lovely patina and would be welcome in many a collection. A very good fine indeed. John

Fantastic grenade. Probably one of the nicest ive seen. Interesting to see an unfinished anvil so agree it was probably liberated from the production line. Nice find.
Hangarman

. Just remember not to pull the pin with the base plug attached.

Andy

I do not understand this comment. Please explain this to me as I am new to Ordnance. I assumed it would be better to have the base plug installed as opposed to not installed. If the plug is not installed, I would think the striker and spring could cause some issues as it leaves the opened bottom of the grenade.

Yep your first mills is like getting your first piece of er uh CANDY! Shall we say! Excellent Mills there and an addition to a great collection..Dano

I do not understand this comment. Please explain this to me as I am new to Ordnance. I assumed it would be better to have the base plug installed as opposed to not installed. If the plug is not installed, I would think the striker and spring could cause some issues as it leaves the opened bottom of the grenade.

If you pull the pin and the spring activates the striker, you will end up with two 'ding' marks on the inside of your base plug. The springs are pretty powerful and the strikers hit with a good thump. It's a good way to ruin a base plug and the striker.

John

Hey Michael,
I got my new Mills #5, it sucks compaired to yours, I do not like you:)
Best wishes
Gus

Don't feel bad Gus. Every one I have ever seen, sucks compared to mine. It is a truely beautiful piece of hardware. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Yeah, well mine looked pretty good, until I had a close look at yours, mine still has about 50% paint, but the center tube was cut in the de-mil process, but for my needs, it works well.
Best wishes
Gus

Hey Rick,
It is actually a fake, and I figured I would offer to take it off his hands for half what he paid for it, just cuz I am a nice guy.
Gsu

Save your money guys. I've decided to use it for a trot-line weight. Water is way up in the river, with a swift current. I figure the Mills, and the Knee Mortar, should keep it on the bottom. Knee Mortar has a big hole in it anyway. Thanks for caring.