What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally got a Mills

If you pull the pin and the spring activates the striker, you will end up with two 'ding' marks on the inside of your base plug. The springs are pretty powerful and the strikers hit with a good thump. It's a good way to ruin a base plug and the striker.

John

Yeah, it's much better to put a nice bruise on your knee, cheaper too

I vividly remember accidentaly releasing a 36m striker right into my balls:tinysmile_cry_t4:
i was not ammused!:tinysmile_shutup_t2
Paul.

I vividly remember accidentaly releasing a 36m striker right into my balls:tinysmile_cry_t4:
i was not ammused!:tinysmile_shutup_t2
Paul.

You guys are killing me with laughter, and scaring the heck out me all at the same time.

I am very very new to this area of collecting. In fact I got my very first Mills Bomb a few weeks ago from a good buddy jholl72.

It is marked FW and was converted into a lamp. The body is very good, however, the base plug was drilled through, and the handle was cut to allow clearance for light.

It has the piece inside (don't know what its called) where the striker, spring and fuse go. I got a good base plug, although not marked FW. The plug is marked TG&C I also got a striker and spring and practice? fuse.

I am looking forward to finishing this piece off fairly soon. I think I may be hooked now.

Hi! trenchwarfare!... You do not see many Mills 'bombs' for sale in the USA. You did well in just finding one!.. I found two in one 'for sale ad'.. Welcome to the 'clan'... Both of mine are now set-up for launching from rifles, the No.5 a 'rod' type, and the No.36M from a 2.5" discharger.

Last edited:
You guys are killing me with laughter, and scaring the heck out me all at the same time.

I am very very new to this area of collecting. In fact I got my very first Mills Bomb a few weeks ago from a good buddy jholl72.

It is marked FW and was converted into a lamp. The body is very good, however, the base plug was drilled through, and the handle was cut to allow clearance for light.

It has the piece inside (don't know what its called) where the striker, spring and fuse go. I got a good base plug, although not marked FW. The plug is marked TG&C I also got a striker and spring and practice? fuse.

I am looking forward to finishing this piece off fairly soon. I think I may be hooked now.

Great stuff! Remember to show off your finished piece with some good pics. I love Mills bombs and love looking at other peoples bombs. They never get boaring.
Rob

They never get boaring.

Plenty of wild boars around my part of the woods too:tinysmile_shy_t:

My best no5 has a small ring too, with same lever configuration, anyone any idea as to when the small ring was phased out ? baseplug on mine is 10/16. the larger ringpull was in use by then, so why was the small ring used ?