What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

finnish grenade

gauptman

hello. what is it? Ersatz projectile for finnish 47 mm mortar?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 63
  • .jpg
    .jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 72
It's an official 47mm mortar shell, made utilizing M/41 egg grenade body. This grenade is launched with an ordinary Mosin ball cartridge, internal part of the tail rod captures the bullet and gas escapes thru small holes behind the grenade ejecting it.
This grenade can also be used as ordinary hand grenade.
Extremaly rare item.

Thanks)))) the bullet didn't break the grenade case?
Attached a page from Finnish 1941 dated ordnance manual. The grenade was called 47mm M/41.
The grenade body should have tolerated the impact of bullet very well as the bullet moves only 2-30 mm and has no speed yet. However this grenade is so rare that most likely it was not that succesfull at all.

Attachments

• 47mm.jpg
    47mm.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hello guy's! Gauptman too ;)
Good stuff! I like this too....
It's a wonderful model for collect. Karelija rulez! :)

Eugene.

P.S. Thank's Reino again!!!!!!!!

Internet is a cool vehicle for communication - the whole world is accessible!!!

:)

Last edited:
Here some pictures more about subject; the mortar M/41, how to carry it and sectional drawing of shell.
This mortar was made in very limited number, more or less for ecxperimental use only.

Attachments

• 47-1.jpg
    47-1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 35
  • 47-2.jpg
    47-2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 47-3.jpg
    47-3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 39
Tmine35 - Thanks ))) why mortars didn't use widely? Design lacks?

We had captured enough Soviet 50mm mortars ( near 1400 pcs ) and ammo so that there was no need to use production capacity on these any longer.

Has understood))) and to the Soviet mortars 50 and 82 you made ammunition? I saw your shells for 45 and 76.2 to the Soviet guns....
Excuse me for many questions... (((And what for did this grenade if already there were many ready shells for 47 mortars? I speak about granates M32...

Last edited:
Mortar shell based on M/32 egg grenade was intended for other mortar / rifle grenade launchers which were abandoned already before. The remaining shells were used as ordinary hand grenades afterwards.

Because M/41 mortars were made in very limited number I assume grenades were made in a small number as well - in the beginning.

B.T.W. If you consider selling your M/41 kindly send me a PM.

hello Reino and all! Here the grenade which promised to show. It right. It differs from usual 32 geometry (not much) and corbels. Also at it a stopper. I think it very early case....

Attachments

• 169_thumb.jpg
    169_thumb.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 171_thumb.jpg
    171_thumb.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 172_thumb.jpg
    172_thumb.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 173_thumb.jpg
    173_thumb.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Very interesting one, I have not seen the right grenade type before, neither the bottom plug it has. As 47mm Mortars and rifle launchers were more experimental than in use this may be an early version as you suggest.
The left grenade has a typical bottom plug that also screws in mortar tail.