What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fins unknown

F0031

I have no idea what these fins are for. Thin steel sheet construction. Two fins soldered on to main body and turned over along their outside edges to give the thing a clockwise spin as it travels through the air. Remains of soldered joints where it was attached to something. Total length 245mm; width 145mm across the fins; diameter of open end 86mm.

Attachments

• Unknown bomb fins 1a.jpg
    Unknown bomb fins 1a.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Unknown bomb fins 1b.jpg
    Unknown bomb fins 1b.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Unknown bomb fins 1d.jpg
    Unknown bomb fins 1d.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Unknown bomb fins 1f.jpg
    Unknown bomb fins 1f.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Unknown bomb fins 1e.jpg
    Unknown bomb fins 1e.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Unknown bomb fins 1g.jpg
    Unknown bomb fins 1g.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 23
I tried searching Google for 'weather-vane'. That didn't come up with anything either.

T.

Could the fins not be for imparting spin,there does not seem to be enough pitch,the fins look to be identical not "handed",the rolled edge could just be for stiffening of the fins,from the construction and patina could it be pre WW1,?I have no idea as to what it is or was used for but it certainly is interesting,it will be interesting to find out just what it is,
Thanks,
Don,