What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fired lead coated shell.

SG500

Premium Member
I've got 2 of these, they both started off the same, sea recovered a long time ago (not by me, I bought them!).
One has been dipped and cleaned ready for the final stage (paint and clear varnish on the lead).
The other one has just been put in to soak as you can see from the photos.
It was nice to find some markings on it when all the sea crud came off.
NOTE - SOMETHING TO REMEMBER IF YOU'VE DOING UP LEAD COATED SHELLS IS THAT THE LEAD IS TOXIC, not only can you breath it in it also gets ingested through the skin so make sure you keep it damp when working on it and wear rubber gloves.
All solid and INERT, nothing nasty here (apart from the lead).
Dave.

Attachments

• 12 Dec 09 002.jpg
    12 Dec 09 002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 12 Dec 09 003.jpg
    12 Dec 09 003.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 12 Dec 09 004.jpg
    12 Dec 09 004.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 12 Dec 09 005.jpg
    12 Dec 09 005.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 64
lead shells

Nice shells, the lead has come up well, its often nasty grey and crusty looking. One nice thing about lead is that it never goes hard and any dents can have the raised metal gently hammered down to fill the indent to improve the look. 2pr

Hi Dave,
That looks lovely, great to see the stamping still visible in the lead. What size are these ? how much do they weigh. I have an unfired one knocking about in a box and am amazed at how fine the rifling is, Thank you for showing us. best regards Weasel.

Armstrong Projectile;

Dave,
I missed this posting earlier and wanted to show you what the shell version would look like.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dave,
That looks lovely, great to see the stamping still visible in the lead. What size are these ? how much do they weigh. I have an unfired one knocking about in a box and am amazed at how fine the rifling is, Thank you for showing us. best regards Weasel.

Hi Weasel, its about 40 pounds in weight. Do you have any more info on the type of gun that would have fired it
Dave.

I thought you might like to see a 'practice' firing of a 40pr Armstrong Gun at Fort Nelson (Portsmouth) in 2005 - only a blank though! Trevor

Attachments

• DSCN2898.jpg
    DSCN2898.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN2900.jpg
    DSCN2900.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2906.jpg
    DSCN2906.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2912.jpg
    DSCN2912.jpg