What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FLaK 41 high altitude

Only happy to be of some help Waff.

My opinion is that if you do buy you will still need the correct projectile so in reality the 170 is just for the case.

PC

Thats really nice waff I think trying to pull the projectile would possibly split the case again and I think it looks nice as it is brasso would help blend in the repair but I would use wet and dry glass paperwith some oil or water on it first to get it down quicker ,also if it was mine the dents and repairs would have their backs to the wall in my armoury .
Is there a big difference between the so called original projectile and the the one in it ( i'm no expert ) why not try and make the projectile fitted look like the one that should be in it with filling the offending stamps and making new ones and repainting over the lot .
I would buy it if I saw it and had the money.

Hi Daz,
I believe the main difference is the `tail` end of the proj which wouldnt show once mounted in the case.there is an HE non-frag version for it,i shall ask the Beltring boys if they have one.
thanks for the cleaning tips as well matey.:)

best
waff

Lads,im going to bump this one for your help.

Ive got the proj out without anymore damage to the case.
Now,after reading up on this,some of you boys reckon im paying too much just for the case as it def is a `straight-bottomed` proj.
This was only on the `tab` if i want it.There is a potential buyer next Monday who will prob pay the full whack on it.(170)
I added the fuze and primer.

My big bro reckons he can repair some of the dents to an extent.
Thing is though,how likely am i to find a correct proj for the case?

Is it meant to be a `boat-tailed` frag proj or solid shot?
How much would one pay for correct proj?
Is the original deal worth it?

Over to you fine gentlemen,i shall not make a decision for a couple of days so everyone gets a stab at this.

cheers

waff

Last edited:
Ammunition :-

8.8cm Sprgr Patr Flak 41.
8.8cm Sprgr Patr Flak41 Gerillt.
8.8cm Pzgr Patr 39/1 Flak 41 (same projectile as used with the Flak 36)
8.8cm Pzgr Patr 40 Flak 41 (same projectile as used with the Flak 36)

You may well be able to find an AP projectile, i'd imagine the HE would be much harder if not impossible to find.

I dont think that brass Flak 41 cases are that hard to find so i think 170 is top end, a case should be in the region of 50?

Quatermass

Completely agree with Q.!! (ouch that hurt)
The projectile you have is worth say 10-20, and the Flak41 case in that condition 50-75.

So sticking my neck out, don't buy, as you'll find a case and pzgr and possible the sprgr at Beltring for around your original 170, but will be "correct".

Rich

Last week i found a used brass case, thus with the crimps in the neck. Strange was the markings on the base, will add a picture.

On 9 olock the marking was the 3 lettercode, plus a "E". Any thoughts about that E. On 5 olock there was a U stamped on the case too.

If anyone has thoughts about the markings, it would be great!

Kees

Attachments

• flak41.JPG
    flak41.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Here a shot of my 3 FLAK 41 cases.

first the one that anyone knows, the unfinnished brass case, easily to recon at no crimps in the neck, and the large cracks. (case didn''t receive the whole heattreatment proces)

Second the zinc coated steal case, rather rare case. (marked 44)

And the last the brass case, that i posted about the strange marking.

Behind the FLAK41 you see 2 FLAK38 10,5 cases with sprggr.

Kees

Attachments

• flak41a.JPG
    flak41a.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the extra info and pictures kees,i would also like to thank Quatermass and RichardB for their inputs too.
I think i will be sending my FLaK 41 back.:(

best

waff

To add to the list of projectiles provided by Quatermass:

8.8cm Pzgr. Patr 39

This is the same design as the 39-1 AP projectile but was made from a different metal. Only way to tell them apart is if they still have original paint work.

White tip: Pzgr 39
White tip and "1" : Pzgr 39-1

SG

Surprisingly of all the 8,8cm Pzgr projectiles I have seen a high percentage do have original paintwork.

Of course that may just be coincidence as I haven't seen that many :laugh:

just resurrecting this old thread because i'm in need of some advice. last year i bought what i thought was a HE round for the KWK43 but noticed today it had a boat tail and not the flat tail that i thought tank rounds had. it has the larger drive bands that i have been told were KWK43. i can only think it's a flak 41 projectile. in the pics i put it next to a KWK36 HE round for comparison.
does anyone have any thoughts on this. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_171904_5.jpg
    IMG_20200301_171904_5.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20200301_171809_6.jpg
    IMG_20200301_171809_6.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 38
in answer to my own question, yes it is a flak 41 round. i asked a friend on the forum and he kindly sent me a bit of info on it. i now find myself in need of a case, if anyone has one available please let me know. thanks

Attachments

• MmsTempResized_20200301_201342.jpeg
    MmsTempResized_20200301_201342.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 37
What you have is the HE shell of the KWK 43, which has driving bands with a width of 17,8 mm. Flak 41 has the same shell body, only driving bands with a width of 12,2 mm.
See photo, from left to right: Flak 18 - Flak 41 - KWK 43.

Attachments

• 3x 8,8 cm Sprgr.JPG
    3x 8,8 cm Sprgr.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 46
thanks greif. i thought the boat tail and wide drive bands would have made it the flak 41, however this isn't the first time i've been wrong! thank you for the correction.
is the flak 41 projectile the same as the flak 18?