What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flare Trip Wire Mk1

Panzerbr

I found this bakelite cap 1 year ago. There was no trace of the device around and I am curious to see how it looks like. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN3474 b.jpg
    DSCN3474 b.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN3475 b.jpg
    DSCN3475 b.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 54
Scrap metal !

The reason it is very unusual to find these complete with the top ring and the striker mechanism is that they have a scrap metal value and therefore get taken for scrap, it is very unusual if not rare to find the top rings.
The striker mechanism is not so unusual to find as they can be very difficult to remove from the bakelite/Plastic pot.

On the base of that potshould be a pivoted arm with a slot like hole in the centre where the firing pin sits trapped until the arm is swung either left or right thus releasing the striker to ignite the flare mixture contained within the pot.
Yours appears to be a very early model as I have only seen black plastic/Bakelite bodied ones.

trip flare

The top for the mk 1 trip flare is made of tin plate (bit like a lid off an old coffeee jar with a big hole in it) with a thin sheet brass disc soldered over the hole, which burns away when the flare is ignited. Both this and the release mechanism will have both corroded away over time. The trip flare used in the 70s/80s/90s was slightly larger in all respects and was made of black bakelite with a heavy brass top. (these tops are sometimes passed off as being off 68 grenades)
Hope this helps
Hangarman

Hi, Here's a photo of my Mk 3, dating from the 70's. I have a manual from the 70's that shows how they work. Let me know if you want me to scan it. Cheers

Attachments

• Brit. 3_1 trip flare.jpg
    Brit. 3_1 trip flare.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 71
Hi, these pages are from an Australian manual. Cheers

Attachments

• Brit trip flare 4 BOCN.jpg
    Brit trip flare 4 BOCN.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 54
Old thread I know, but here is another photo.
Flare_Trip_Wire_Mk.I-Web.jpg

Last edited: