What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flea market find unknown,,,

Lou

Hi Guys,
I dont usually pick up WW1 stuff,but after watching a dude drop it in the grass,I decided to perform a rescue.No damage from the drop, and the price was right.The driving band is in exceptional shape.

84mm at the base,aprox 88mm at the driving band,53mm at the smallest point of the adapter at the top,a heafty 250mm tall. I havent a clue what it is.

I had an oddball fuze on my spares shelf Id picked up awhile back that Id been meaning to ID too,I think its Russian,It screwed right into the projectile.Im pretty sure its not the propper fuze but I'll set the two together for display. The only place I could find stamping was on the bottom,the shell has what I believe to be a couple of broadarrows very lightly stamped in,but I'll let the experts decide,,,,

Attachments

• unknown 003.jpg
    unknown 003.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 57
  • unknown 004.jpg
    unknown 004.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 55
  • unknown 005.jpg
    unknown 005.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 47
  • unknown 007.jpg
    unknown 007.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 47
  • unknown 012.jpg
    unknown 012.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 52
  • unknown 009.jpg
    unknown 009.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 53
  • unknown 013.jpg
    unknown 013.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 38
  • unknown 010.jpg
    unknown 010.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 49
18pdr?

Looks like an 18pdr shrapnel shell to me, the size and driving band match :) the fuze appears to be a US made No.85 (made by the Bethlehem Steel Corporation) which was used on these shells along with the No.80. nice find

Last edited:
but at least the fuze has been manufactured in the USA for Russia. The small grooves around the fuze body to secure a protection cap and the cyrillic marking уд = удар = impact is typicall for russian fuzes.