What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flea market find

SG500

Premium Member
I picked this up at a flea market today. Its not my sort of thing but it was the right price so I bought it.
I'm assuming its quite old and looks like a 3 pounder case that has been cut down
BUT
the top of the case is evenly curled over a bit like the starter cartridges that are very common.

Does anyone know what its for? There's no date on it but it certainly has the feeling of an older shell case.

Base diameter 63.95mm
Height 67.75mm
External diameter at mouth is 56.00mm
Internal diameter at mouth (keeping in mind the lip is curled over) is 51.55mm

Could it be some sort of depth charge cartridge? If so what sort?

Thanks.

Dave.

IMG_0952.jpgIMG_0955.jpgIMG_0953.jpgIMG_0956.jpgIMG_0954.jpg

Last edited:
Hello

for this perhaps ?

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/82296-impulse-torpedo-cartridges
impulse torpedo cartridges

Have been quite lucky recently and picked some nice bits,the two cases shown here are based on the standard British 3 pounder Naval case,they were used to launch torpedos from the decks of ships. They range in length and are marked with the charge in Ounces on the base. I would like to know the significance of the T on one case and BM on the other please.Any other pics of your cases would be great too. Cheers Tig.​
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Thanks kz11gr and Tig, mystery solved.
How old would they be?
What sort of torpedo?
Dave.

Hmm,no 4oz on there! nice find Dave,not easy to find at all,dates from 1900s.Tig.

Dave,the 4.5 oz cases are 77mm tall. I dont have much info at all. Burney Davis has some of these too. A lot of the torpedos were made at Whiteheads(later Vickers) at Ferrybridge,weymouth. Perhaps yours was for test firing or practice?? cheers for posting pics of yours. Tig.