What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food related ordnance names

exat808

Ordnance approved
Sat here thinking about food and mind turns to ordnance ( or was it the other way around) - I was wondering what food related ordnance names we have? Either officially from manufacturer/services or colloquially from users.
My rambling brain very quickly came up with -
"Gammon" bomb - No 82 grenade
"Egg" various types of grenade
"Pineapple" also grenade types particluarly US
"Cheese" - UK/German post war demolition charge

There must be more................

and "grape" shot.. I can sense those grey cell working overtime in the BOCN community - checking fridges and food cupboards for clues!

if you are going that low bazooka chris then I'll throw in "pea" shooter

Oh no how did I miss that one I was scraping the barrel as it was, they were the only ones left I could think of hehe :)
all the best ones had already been taken.

From bazooka chris

Jap Sea Mines

Several Japanese Sea mines were named after fruit.
John

chinese "cracker" - a large military pyro device for battlefiled simulations.

lets go deeper - how about that lovely japanese delicacy "seaslug" - just like the missile system - simples!

one last blast with "rocket" salad ( hear the groans from here!)............

Crab Apple grenade

And OF COURSE the maker of the best canned veggies:
Jolly Green Giant!

jolly-green-giant.jpg

Last edited:
Submunition called the Guava bomb. Toffee Apple, the 15,000 bombs dropped in the first Gulf War were called Hamburger bombs, submunition called the cry pie, agent orange, stonefish mine, clam mine.

Toffie apple bomb, British
Blauen Bohnen, blue beans, German for bullets
Kndl, dumpling, Austrian for artillery shell

The next two have been covered, but they are also know by the same name in other languages

Ananas, pineapple, Polish and French for frag grenade
Ei, egg, German for small grenade

Best
Gus

Last edited: