What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For you history buffs

Slick

In August '08, I had the pleasure of a near month long visit to the UK. This included a side trip to France, which involved two ferry boat rides, Portsmouth to Ouisterham and back. A very cool mode of transport.
Within that portion of the trip, we commenced a frantic D-Day journey, East to West. Four days is not near enough to see it all. We hugged the beach, so to speak, and saw as much as available in that narrow area.
Searched for some old postings of the trip here on BOCN but my thread history only goes back to 2010.
Anyway, I'm in the process of cleaning out a room to rehab and ran across the boxes of sand I collected from the D-Day beaches. Not long after the return I ordered a bunch of little vials(bottles) and filled up a few for display. Assorted folks ended up with a set.
I loaded up 6 more sets and am offering them, free, on a first come/served basis. Asking for the recipient to pay postage is all. Which shouldn't be much for CONUS; could be ridiculous Int'l. And dirt/sand isn't well liked in Customs, so maybe at your own risk on that.
The map was acquired at some museum and is not included. Wish I could copy it, but it's the size of a road map and my scanner isn't up to the task. So, only sand filled bottles are included.
PM or email if interested in a set.

sand 2.jpg

sand 3.jpg

sand 1.jpg

Attachments

• sand 2.jpg
    sand 2.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 2
  • sand 3.jpg
    sand 3.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 1
With the 80th this year all minds will be concentrated on the Invasion itself, yet the training grounds where most troops who took part in the invasion spent 3/4 of their military career practicing on the training grounds of the UK for the big day, part of the history of Normandy invasion forgotten. Plenty to see here in the UK where these brave men practiced for the big day.