What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found these 7.62mm casings interesting

Ammo Rob

Ordnance approved
I've been told the one with "rifling" is German and that all German SAA is head stamped with the lot. The other casing is its Canadian counterpart.

2z9aal3.jpg

nf5rnq.jpg

7,62x51 Nato from Dynamit Actien Gesellschaft Nurnberg - Germany and Industrie Valcartier Incorporee Quebec - Canada

Cheers !

From some quick reading it would appear that the "rifling" is from a flutted chamber.

As your probably aware IVI is now owned by General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems. Just FYI. Also that fired round I am told comes from the H&K G3.

7.62 x 51

Yes, normally German military 7.62 x 51 has a lot number included in the headstamp.

The fluted chamber marks are typical of the HK series.

Regards
TonyE

Fluted chamber

Fluted chambers were developed during WW2 by the Germans. The chamber of a weapon is "fluted", i.e. longitudinal cuts are made in the metal a few thou deep, usually tapering towards the front of the chamber. They do not reach all the way back to the rear of the case.

When the cartridge is fired a wash of gas escapes backwards down the grooves of flutes and "floats" the cartridge case away from the chamber wall, but the case still seals on the rear part. The result is far easier extraction because the case is not sticking to the chamber walls.

The principle was used in such weapons as the VG 1/5 and Gerat 06 right at the end of the war.

Post war Vollgrimmer and other Germans went to spain to work at CETME and from that developed the G3 and other Heckler & Koch weapons. As Jonny says, the fluted chambers of H & K weapons is a bit of a trade mark.

Regards
TonyE

Fluted Chamber

Tony,
As the Tokarev Model 40 also uses a fluted chamber do you think this was a parallel development to the German work? In modern weapons the CIS .50 MG uses a fluted chamber and marks the fired cases.

Sandy