What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found today, can anyone help with identification?

3pinplug

Hi,
Found this with my metal dtector today, have had a look around the forum but any photos of tail fins that I have found only seem to 3 holes in a row not four. It is 70mm overall in length and 45mm across. Assume it is from a mortar?? but not really sure.
Can make out what looks to be the no. 30 or 39 in a sun shaped circle with the letters WDC below it on the screw thread cap at the bottom.Also one of the fins has a diagram of what looks like a car steering wheel with the no. 3 after it. There are two numbers before the steering wheel but i can't quite make them out. Any help would be greatly received.
Many thanks
Mark

Attachments

• mortar.jpg
    mortar.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 112
Looks very much like a Brit 2" mortar fin to me. But as you say, all the ones I have come across only have three holes in a line and not 4. I will investigate, but I reckon someone will get there before me

2 inch

Looks like fins from a british 2 inch mortar round? Pointblank beat me to it. :)

Ben.

Hi,
Found this with my metal dtector today, have had a look around the forum but any photos of tail fins that I have found only seem to 3 holes in a row not four. It is 70mm overall in length and 45mm across. Assume it is from a mortar?? but not really sure.
Can make out what looks to be the no. 30 or 39 in a sun shaped circle with the letters WDC below it on the screw thread cap at the bottom.Also one of the fins has a diagram of what looks like a car steering wheel with the no. 3 after it. There are two numbers before the steering wheel but i can't quite make them out. Any help would be greatly received.
Many thanks
Mark

The numbers in the screw cap in the circle will be the date that part was made. WDC I would assume to be the maker though I don't know what it stands for. Sorry Ben, must have been typing at the same time

Re; Response

"Pointblank0" and "Ben2000"
Thank you for the very prompt replies regarding the 2" mortar round, much appreciated. Have rechecked the sun with the 39 in it and missed that theres theres a very small no.5 under the 39 (believe its definitely a 39) so if thats the date can I assume May 1939? Hopefully the unusual 4 holes in the fin will help nail the ID.
Thanks again
Mark

Re: Four holes

Kev

Thanks for the link, you look to have answered that one in some detail. You posted whilst I was typing my response so hence the crossover.

Will have a good read and tag that to my find, your a star!

Cheers

mark

2" In Mortar fins

3pinplug here are a couple of examples of your find.
Made of "Maizac" metal and cast as that was a cheap method of production, the "Maizac" does not resist the elements well when left out in the open or very damp environments.

Attachments

• 2 in Mor DRL.JPG
    2 in Mor DRL.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2 in Mor SMK.JPG
    2 in Mor SMK.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 10
Its 'mazac' bud, same things Mills WW2 base plugs, fillers n tubes were made from.

Also well used in the motor industry after the war in door handles etc.
These were usually cromed and after a few years it nearly always bubbled and looked horrible. My poor old 1949 Morris Minor lowlight is suffering from this now.

Andy

Thanks Chris for the photos and info on the Maizac, never heard of that type of metal before, good to know the detector will pick it up!! Note your photos only have three holes, from an earlier post I now believe that mine have four due to the fin being drilled with an extra hole to prevent it from malfunctioning during use. Like the idea of that.

Thanks Gothica 7, sorry to hear about the handles in the car but I wonder how many modern cars will stil be around in only 20 years time. Will have a further read up on the matreial and bring myself up to speed.

Falcon,
Thanks for the post regarding WDC, much appreciated.
Will have a surf round and see what I can find on them.
Mark

Hi if this tail unit is indeed a No.5 then it will be a trial/experimental as the No.5 tail unit was not proceeded with in British Service. Where was it found, out of interest?

Hi PKM54

From the posts so far its either a 151 or 161, does your ref to the no.5 relate to the 151?. Had previously referenced the no.5 in the sun shape on one of the fins but informed this was part of the manufacturing date.? Found in an area that I'm led to believe may have been used for training by the local Homeguard but not 100% sure on that.