What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 10cm HE shell WW1 ?

starshell

Premium Member
Hi all,

Have seen a shell listed as a 'French WW1 HE 10cm' which according to the seller screws apart into two halves. It has no turning marks and seems to be a pre war piece, possibly late 1800's. It has 'MB' stamped into the base with a '5' stamped into the body side.
Unfortunately I have no pictures, but if anyone has any info or drawings which might match this description, I'd be very grateful.
I can't find any reference to a 10cm shell in my French shell manuals.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello,
Not easy without a picture and dimensions.
Did you see driving bands ?
French made 100mm and 105mm.

2f23-10439.jpg
Hi MINENAZ16,
Here's an image of said shell. Not one I recognise.....and the fuse fitted raises questions? Is it correct for this type of shell? No dimensions unfortunately other than its a 10cm HE??
Many thanks!

Maybe the French identification is faulty ....
For information here are the reinforcing bands ("ceintures de renforcement") on French shells of 100-105mm caliber (schemas from the excellent "fiches munitions" by Turpinite from forum.pages14-18.com):
CEINTURES DE FORCEMENT c610.jpgCEINTURES DE FORCEMENT c710.jpgCEINTURES DE FORCEMENT c810.jpg

Last edited:
Fired left, so I think it's a 95mm (late 19's).
First were fuzed 25/38 (filled powder), then 22/31 (with special gaine and filled picric acid), and then 24/31 (with special gaine and filled picric acid).
I even found one on ww1 battlefield, fired, fuzed with a 30/45 "Siege et Montagne". Not mentionned in our books but logical because this shell had a thread of 30mm when used with the special adapter for 22/31 fuze. The problem was the larger diameter of 30/45 fuze (45mm) really too big for the max diameter of the top of the shell. So the shell looked like a muschroom.

Last edited:
The groove in the body is strange (cut shell or low bourelet ?)
The shell is short, no typical bourelet on top. The fuze mitmaches.
The fired left band matches with 95mm Lahitolle (other old Navy french guns fired left, 100mm and other).
Never seen this shell before.

Many thanks guys,
The seller states that the shell screws into two halves?? That's the groove you see I believe.
Is this piece a French Naval shell then MINENAZ16?

Many thanks guys,
The seller states that the shell screws into two halves?? That's the groove you see I believe.
Is this piece a French Naval shell then MINENAZ16?

I really don't konw what is this strange combo.