What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 220mm {?}

super7

Bought this heavy lump of steel last weekend. It was advertised as a 220 mm French artillery shell but measurement do not add
up as being a French WW1 shell Mle.1915 although the shape and small drivingband suggests otherwise.

Total height with fuse adapter (=40 mm) = 760 mm
Diameter top with fuse adapter removed = 70 mm

220mm_french-44602cf2b347e993d2eeeef4a3cb2199a.jpg

Both these measurements are somewhat different then the standard Mle.1915. Can't test the thread of the adapter because someone
put a spot weld on the top thread of the shell. Need to sort that one out at a later date.

Question:
- Is this the correct adapter for this shell, what is the correction designation of the shell and what type of fuse did it use.
- Does anybody knows what exactly I have bought if it is not a French 220 mm shell?

Much appreciated.

Regards, Jan
http://www.westernfront.nl

Hello,

I think you really have a French 220mm but a model 1914 (shorter than 1915).
French documentation mentions a length of 712mm without adapters (748 with two adapters), so due to manufacturing tolerance, it's ok.
Note : first adapter (ring) is 77mm/87mm model 1915-A, second (gaine) for a 30mm fuze is 40mm/55mm model 1895.

Regards

220 mle 1914.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks indeed. Glad to hear it is the real deal afterall. Adapter, iner-adapter with gaine are all present. My adapter looks identical
to the one you displayed. What kind of fuse did it use?

Regards, Jan