What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 37mm Time Fuze Message Projectile

Gspragge

Premium Member
Hard to beat a Russian 37mm time fuze but I'll offer this one ~
This kind are more common or were.
Most are badly rusted as they were found in a crate in a river. This one started as an empty body and fuse. The message container and base of the flare container are from one of the river rounds. The sides of the flare container would not come out being rusted in and thin. The wood spacer was also somewhat rotted and charred from heat. So the side of the flare can and wooden spacer are replacements. The original spacer is present. The soft lead storage cap has remains of waxy sealant on it. There was likely a tear off strip on it. These were on issue right up to ww2.

Attachments

• message1.jpg
    message1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 83
  • message2.jpg
    message2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 102
  • message3.jpg
    message3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 101
  • message4.jpg
    message4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 101
Very nice Gordon, I've never seen one in such good condition.
Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

Hi Gordon,
Thats a lovely round to have in your collection, i really good condition considering it spent along time underwater as well. One thing that puzzles me about these message rounds is how they were seen or recovered by those that the message was for ? you can imagine in the chaos mud and mayhem of a battle that a small round like this would be very difficult to spot.
Thank you for showing this round, best regards Weasel.

This one wasn't in the river with the others

As to finding the message, I think the flare might mean "Aim Here" finding the bigger Minnenwerfer message rounds might be just as much fun. I think I read someplace that you would fire three of them. At least being base ejected they might not sink in the ground. It's not abad idea that is if any one is watching out for them on the receiving end. I could have put this under restorations as the base and inside parts are from a river round and the flare cup and wood spacer are replacements. The body was empty with a fuze when I got it.

Last edited: