What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 47mm model 1885 & model 1902

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I'm trying to establish the range of projectiles that were used with the French 47 x 376R case for the 1885 TR gun and also for the 47 x 380R 1902 gun. I have searched the site but can't find anything referring to these two guns.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

D

Thank you Didier, very useful and the language is nota problem. But what I am looking for is pictures of the projectiles used with each case. Were they the same or not?

Thanks

Darrel

there is a (copy) of a publication that I have called MUNITIONS DE PETITS CALIBRES which has sketch type illustrations of the projectiles for the guns mentioned. any use?

there is a (copy) of a publication that I have called MUNITIONS DE PETITS CALIBRES which has sketch type illustrations of the projectiles for the guns mentioned. any use?
That would be most useful, thanks. I'll send you a mail.

D

Thank you to those who have supplied information so far. I thought it might help if I showed all of the projectiles together. The pictures show seven different models. The two on the right look the same but the base thread is course and fine respectively. Did all of these go with both cases?

Thanks again.

DSC00165.jpg47mm base.jpg

Regarding the two on the right ;
Presuming these follow the same evolution as the 37 mm kinds, the base fuzed kind with the fine thread screw in base would be the Model 1888 , which is essentially identical with the original Hotchkiss except for the double drive band and internal fuze type. The kind with the rapid twist self tightening coarse thread base plug would be a Model 1892 - presuming adopted in the same year as the same design in the 37mm size.