What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 56mm Riot Grenades.

ron3350

I show some French Alsetex riot control grenades that seem versatile to be used by hand, rifle or a launcher. 56mm diameter.
They seem to have 5"-cal 56 and either 50m, 100m or 200m .
Does anyone have a list or photos of the range of grenades available and appropriate case and band colours if they have a meaning?
Black case is a 50m R2. White cases are 100m R2. Rifle tails are 200m R. Any information is welcome.

56mm Grenades a.jpeg56mm Grenades b.jpeg

I have a couple of hand, rather than rifle, grens like these. All I've seen (inc mine) are grey, and red banding on grens usually denotes CS filling (think this is universal)?

Lexpev has a partial list of French tear gas grenades, https://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/europe/france/index.html

I have two empty French tear gas grenades. The CS has a red band, but an eariier CN has a blue band.

My understanding is that grey is a universal colour to indicate a chemical filling, and that a red band indicates an explosive element i.e. the primer, igniter, etc.

EA11F7B6-88DD-497D-B188-59FE600FCAC8.jpg

hello
in this case:

grey body :tear gas
red band:cs filling

an explosive filling is denoted by yellow band (grenade GLI F4)