What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 60 mm Model 1939 anti-personnel bounding mine

pzgr40

Premium Member
The 60 mm Model 1939 anti-personnel mine is a pre WW2 French bounding mine. It exists of a rectangular 6,4”x 4” (162x102mm) 1mm thick baseplate in which a170 mm long steel projector tube with a 60,3 mm internal diameter is placed. The base of the tube receives a machined cast iron base plate, secured to the pipe by dowels, into which flash pipe is screwed. The upper portion of the pipe is closed by a tin cap, under which a rubber seal disc is placed. The cap is held in place by a spring wire (missing in this picture), attached to the two hooks at 180 degrees each on the outside of the pipe. The flash pipe makes an 180 degree bend, and ends up through the baseplate, where it is locked up between a nut and a fuze adapter .The mine itself is made of an 60 mm mortar body which -by means of an adaptor – ,is connected to a cap that fits over and edge on the base plate. This cap also houses a screwed in brass delay pellet. Below the fuze, just before the bend in the pipe, a 0,8 grams black powder capsule is placed, used to throw the mine up, and ignite the delay pellet. A winged screw is placed in the base of the mortar, enabling the removal of the mine from the tube for placing the detonator before use.

The fuze used on this mine is the Pull Igniter Mle.(modele) 1939. It is a pull fuze which releases the firing pin when the cotter pin is withdrawn by actuating the connected tripwire.
The picture shows the fuze on the mine in armed condition; in safe condition the safety ring , connected to the cotter pin is folded back over the head of the fuze (picture left below), thus making it not possible to remove the cotter pin. An interesting detail about the fuze is that the head of the fuze pivots over the lower part; if the force of the trip wire is not on line with the head of the fuze, it will first pivot the head in the right direction and than pull the cotter pin out.

Functioning of the mine:
If the cotter pin is withdrawn, the firing pin will hit the firing cap. The flame travels down in the flash pipe, igniting the 0,8 grams black powder charge. This projects the mine upward, out of the tube, at the same time igniting the 1/5 second delay. The mine will now explode between 0,5 and 2 mtrs above the ground (1’7” and6’6”).

Overall height of mine : 8.25 “ (210 mm)
Type of filling : Melenite
Weight of filling : 5oz (0,141 Kg)
Total weight mine : 5,5 Lb (2,26 Kg)

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• French 60mm Mle.1939  bounding A.P. mine.JPG
    French 60mm Mle.1939 bounding A.P. mine.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Fuze armed & save.JPG
    Fuze armed & save.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 32