What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French AMX 50 tank ammunitions : 120 mm , 100 mm , 90 mm

kz11gr

Hello

Who has some photos of the cartridge , case , ammo for the heavy battle tank "AMX 50" ?

Three guns have been tested :

120 mm (with SA46 Gun)
100 mm (with SA47 Gun)
90 mm (Gun ??)

-------------------------

Attachments

• CANON AUTOMOTEUR AMX 50 FOCH.jpg
    CANON AUTOMOTEUR AMX 50 FOCH.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 18
  • amx50120.png
    amx50120.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 20
  • amx50_2.jpg
    amx50_2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19
  • amx50-1.jpg
    amx50-1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 17
  • amx50-3.jpg
    amx50-3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 18
  • amx foch_1.jpg
    amx foch_1.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 16
  • amx foch_2.jpg
    amx foch_2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 13
  • amx50-4.jpg
    amx50-4.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 16
French markings on the shot OFL 105 F1 ("Obus Flèche 105 model F1) and German markings on the sabot (Panzerkanone M68) !??
I assume M68 is an US tank gun, so what an international round !

Last edited:
390 tungsten 3mm balls in paraffin under the balistic cap.
I remember an old post on this question.
No clear answer, Maybe to enhance penetration.

Thank you. But i think that the 100mm and 120mm AMX50 munitions were from 50' years and largely before the tungsten rods .

Last edited:
French markings on the shot OFL 105 F1 ("Obus Flèche 105 model F1) and German markings on the sabot (Panzerkanone M68) !??
I assume M68 is an US tank gun, so what an international round !
I really am not sure if this was made for Germany? I do know NEXTER sells to forgone markets so maybe. Most of the 105mm APFSDS rounds in my collection are made for the M68 / L7 guns used on many domestic and forgone tanks, Many are marked on the head stamp.

White marking ASS sounds French maker so maybe made in France for export to a country with german language.

apfsds, could you post a picture of your practice-drill hungarian APDS 100mm on the left ?

Thank you. But i think that the 100mm and 120mm AMX50 munitions were from 50' years and largely before the tungsten rods .
What are the ball bearings for at the front of the penetrator?
According to the patent (see link at the end), greatly improved lethality against lightly armoured targets.

In operation the head area of the penetrator assembly is broken-up during the process of penetrating and then exiting the armoured skin of a lightly armoured target.

This is because the impact dynamics results in the preformed fragments and their support matrix, which is present within the tip, being squeezed between inner angled rear of the head's tip element, and the angled head of the main long rod penetrator.

Once the tip area has passed through the skin of the lightly armoured target the tip's outer skin ruptures and its previously compressed payload is released.

This results in the outer skin and the preformed fragments moving outwards from the exit point as a wide-angled and increasing diameter conic beam of high density and high velocity fragments.

This fragment beam is far wider and the fragments far more numerous than that produced by the penetration of a simple monolithic long rod penetrator against thin armour.

More details are available in the patent linked below.

Last edited:
White marking ASS sounds French maker so maybe made in France for export to a country with german language.

apfsds, could you post a picture of your practice-drill hungarian APDS 100mm on the left ?
I will take some pics for you in a bit and will send you a message as not to take over the tread with info not relevant to the original post.

Jason