What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Case 193mm?

doppz92

Premium Member
Hello,

I've had this case for a while but can't fathom what it is and wether it's whole or cut down.
Measurements are 193 x 504 X 216 (rim).
It's been made in France in Dives (?) And what mean the numbers on the top?

French case 193mm 1.jpgFrench case 193mm 2.jpgFrench case 193mm 3.jpg

Thank you!!!

Hi, Thanks, however, the 93 or 93-96 Gun is 164 mm, my case is 193 or 194, way bigger and corresponding to the 1870/93 Naval Gun. Any idea?

Well, being a Naval gun, which normally have very long cases, which normally taper gradually from the base to the top, seems to suggest that your case has been cut down and that really is a shame. Nice bit of history though.

Could be a cutdown case as you implied (i also guess the 16 in front of the model number is the size - 16cm)
No idea about the lengt of the cases for either gun, but i'm sure someone here will know the exact answer.

The 164,7 mm French navy gun case measures 190x691R214 mm so it is cut down unfortunately.