What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French documentary about APFSDS production

That was INCREDIBE!

I wish I could understand, French. This was just so great. I have aways wondered how these rounds were made, especially the contraction of the sub-projectile dart. Had no idea it started with a sintered tungstens, compressed and cooked. Always thought it was machined from a chunk a tungsten. I would love to know their transition around minute 8 when they show the addition of the tungsten pellets under the windscreen. I believe the, French are the only ones to utilize this design feature and would love to confirm its purpose. I can not thank you enough for sharing this GREAT video. Love the French designs.

Jason

Any tungsten penetrators or carbide machining tooling is made from powdered metal. The melting point is too high to cast any geometries to be used. In the lathe machining process, the tooling to cut the WC would be industrial diamonds or ceramics.

Any tungsten penetrators or carbide machining tooling is made from powdered metal. The melting point is too high to cast any geometries to be used. In the lathe machining process, the tooling to cut the WC would be industrial diamonds or ceramics.
Is it the same when fabricating DU Cores?

Jason

Jason, I didn't see the DU on your previous question. DU can be melted and formed into rods. It has to be done in such a way that oxygen can't get to it, because its pyrophoric. Many of the metals that end in "ium" are pyrophoric and burn at high temperatures. Uranium, Plutonium, zirconium, magnesium, etc..

I have been wondering about this for countless years. THANK YOU. Big part of the picture solved.

Jason