What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French HE

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, Just finished this French HE round i don't know if its the right shade of yellow but it will do for know and all i have left to do is the lettering
Andy

Attachments

• 75mm HE.jpg
    75mm HE.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 105
  • french 75 y.jpg
    french 75 y.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 142
Realy Cool Andy

Nice job well done i like to see things growing up !!

go ahead

best regards david

Hi, Just finished this French HE round i don't know if its the right shade of yellow but it will do for know and all i have left to do is the lettering
Andy

good job mate.

a bit of a cheat i use is to add a wash over the yelow base colour.

Basically you mix up some very watered down base colour,in your case yellow but darker,and sponge or brush over everything.(after lettering)
Makes it look a little aged and less bright also dampens down lettering that can sometimes stand out too much when painted.

Its the same effect as using strong cold tea to age other articles like clock faces.
Ive used this on 18 pounder shells with this yellow,models etc..

i wouldnt be too concerned on the correct shade of yellow,i'm sure some one knows the 'exact' shade for this,but it all depends on quality of paint,age and storage conditions so I believe its a little open to artistic licence and interpretation.

your shell looks great.
Doug
p.s. how you doing he lettering?

ive used 'letraset' rub on tranfers,they come in all fonts,colours and sizes and can easily be rubbed with very fine wet and dry to give a faded or worn look.
you can get them from hobbycraft..

Attachments

• dougs%20bombs0001.jpg
    dougs%20bombs0001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Doug, Thanks that sounds a good idea, i will make my own stencils, first i will print the letters off the computer to the size i wanted and then cover the letters with thin clear plastic like the stuff you cover books with and cut them out with a craft knife, its very time consuming and fiddly but its worth it and then stick the plastic on the shell and then with a small sponge or brush stipple the paint on.
Andy

Hi Andy, I hope this will help you. These are all HE shell paint schemes and markings here. The steel top of the fuze was painted white for fuzes without delay and black for those with delay.

Attachments

• obus_e16.jpg
    obus_e16.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 45
  • obus_e17.jpg
    obus_e17.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 40
  • obus_e19.jpg
    obus_e19.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 37
  • obus_e15.jpg
    obus_e15.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 36
  • obus_e20.jpg
    obus_e20.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Here's one I have at the moment that was restored to museum quality. The colour should therefore be good.

John

Attachments

• SSCN3099.JPG
    SSCN3099.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 42
Two more. I think the part which was inside the case wasn't painted.

Attachments

• OBUS_color_10.jpg
    OBUS_color_10.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 45
  • OBUS_color_11.jpg
    OBUS_color_11.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 34
HE

Hi Guys thanks for the info i have already painted mine know i don't think its far off.
Andy

Attachments

• P1020627.jpg
    P1020627.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 42
Hi, i used some transfers the rub off lettering its the first time i have used them so don't know if they will be ok.
Andy

I use a plastic template and a very thin paint-brush to paint the text on it. I am about to restore a french 75 mm He too. Will post pics here soon...