What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Post War 75mm Tank Ammunition for SA 50 or CN75-50 for AMX 13 Tank

M8owner

I have been offered these two high explosive projectiles with a description of them being post war French made M42 high explosive shells for 76mm armed Sherman tanks. I suspect they might actually be for the 75mm gun on the AMX-13 tank - since the HE had a much lower velocity - only one driving band is needed. I would greatly appreciate your help in identifying these. If anyone can show the CN 75-50 ammunition specifications from a manual, that would be wonderful as I have yet to ever see such documentation. Thank you.

Attachments

• French 75mm HE.jpg
    French 75mm HE.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 47
I have also been offered this which I believe to be a APCBC-T model 1951, French designation : PCOT ("perforant coiffé ogivé traceur"). It was used with the SA 50 75mm gun in the AMX-13 tank, EBR armored car and M50 Super Sherman tank. It is my understanding there was also an APBC-T or POT ("perforant ogivé traceur" without penetrating cap under the windshield).

Attachments

• French 75mm AP Post War.jpg
    French 75mm AP Post War.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Here is a photo from another collection. It appears the HE for the SA 50 gun did have two driving bands and was designed to use US fuzes.

Attachments

• CN75-50 Ammo.jpg
    CN75-50 Ammo.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 33
Hello,

1 :
French 75mm HE.jpg

I think bad repainted.
Not French. UK/BEGLIAN 76mm HE-T L5 & L23 CTG NR525 (CVRT, Scorpion, Saladin...). You can find also M330 HE-T today on the web but I don't know the general shape of the band and the base.
The left could be the practice M78Bg for example with short tracer into the base.

2:
French 75mm AP Post War.jpg

Yes French 75mm PCOT (APCBC-T). It's a shot with tracer.
Yes, the other shot POT (APBC-T) is a shot without penetrating cap under windshield.

3:
CN75-50 Ammo.jpg

On the left : French 75mm HE model 1951/59 (not common). Modified model 1951 to receive US type fuzes.

Last edited: