What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Tank And AT Rounds From WWII.

Ok, this info is important for difference an original one from one with a repainted nose. Very nice round, I have never seen one before.

here the headstamp of a 25x193 case.I have been told that this black stencyls indicate it comes from the gun turrets of the Maginot line, but i can't be 100% sure.

Attachments

• Sf437iG.jpg
    Sf437iG.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 53
I have had and sold here a few with these nice stencils at base, many cases from different countries have stencils at base or at body, so I think they are not rare.

I have had and sold here a few with these nice stencils at base, many cases from different countries have stencils at base or at body, so I think they are not rare.

i never said it's rare, but it seems the 25mm AT with stencyled cases were used on casemate, but i can't garuantee the info

i never said it's rare, but it seems the 25mm AT with stencyled cases were used on casemate, but i can't garuantee the info

I know, I know, but were they used at Casemate or not, they are not rare because I have seen a lot at the fairs. Is the info I can add. :marchmellow:

here the headstamp of a 25x193 case.I have been told that this black stencyls indicate it comes from the gun turrets of the Maginot line, but i can't be 100% sure.
Finland purchased a good number of these AT-guns in 1939 from France and all cases that I have seen here have had the same stencils on head.

Hi Miguel,
Finland is a small and poor country and before/during WW2 he had to buy all small and cheap lots of weapons available on market. Therefore we had plenty of quite rare items around - a collector's paradise but a hell to those who had to use and supply it all.

Yes, in 1939 our population was 3,7 million and thanks to clever politicians the funds available for Army purchases were near nill. Some funds for weapon purchases were collected as donations from civilians.

for Miguel: you have asked about the green color, here you can see where it is

Attachments

• tete25vert.jpg
    tete25vert.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 95
french gunners often use the munition without the ballstic cap because the white tracer line due to the rubbing with the air showed the position of the gun

Very interesting, I always thought the magnesium cap only created a big flash upon impact so the gunners could see their fall of shot.

But you're saying the cap burned in flight?

i have read that in a french historical article about the 47mm Mle1937 gun, there is no more details i guess it occured just after the proj goes outside the barrel.

We could ask ourselves why the round was delivered to soldiers separatly from this cap?? i think there is a practical reason, and it could be this one. the magnesium get fusion at 650C, is it a possible temperature for the nose at 860m/s?

Look on the pic:

Attachments

• 47mm mle1937.jpg
    47mm mle1937.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 104
Hello

just got this 37mm Mle 1938 (37x148R) with an armor piercing projectile (see the balistic cap), which was used on the Hotchkiss H-39 tank in 1939-1940 (and re used by the Germans later).

Regards

Attachments

• IMGP6546.jpg
    IMGP6546.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 37Mle1938c1139ckG.jpg
    37Mle1938c1139ckG.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 70
  • _MG_8040_Small_.jpg
    _MG_8040_Small_.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 64
Thanks Miguel, there is a code at its back, i guess it is not the date! probably a "lot number" of the factory.

Attachments

• IMGP6547.jpg
    IMGP6547.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 24
25mm Hotchkiss AT

Miguel,

Some pictures of my 25mm.

Attachments

• 25mm1.jpg
    25mm1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 25mm2.jpg