What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French VO stamped cirtron and VB grenade castings

BMG50

Premium Member
Came across 3 of the same, two mint French grenade castings of the Citron grenade and the VB rifle grenade, VO marked both bolted together on top of each other the VB as the base and the Citron as the top like a candle stick holder/ornament or for a purpose which was done after they were just cast, so its not a recent job. Would like to know what company VO is and are they found on VB and Citron grenades. Anything on the manufacture of the VB grenade. Are these grenade castings rare in their premade form or are they quite common. Would any one know if they were bolted together as a work company sample or trench art or how the were shipped etc??.

Attachments

• KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781418000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781418000.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 40
  • KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781363000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781363000.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 30
  • KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781341000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781341000.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 29
  • KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781381000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781381000.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 23
  • KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781399000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1459781399000.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Without seeing it I'd say it was a one-off trench art item. I've seen lots of Citron based trench art, pen holders, inkwells etc but nothing like what you describe. Sound interesting.

John

Thank you, sgdbdr. Does the directory of French Manufacturers have an entry for the initials JPM?

Tom.

Picture's posted. The bolt that holds them together is as old as the castings.

Interesting pieces of trench art. Easy to make and a good result. I've not seen that before. If the bolts are old then I suspect all three are vintage too. I do see modern trench art in France but it normally stands out from the original like a sore thumb. This would be harder to judge regarding age but I suspect they are original.

John

I have been collecting for years and this is not some recent knock up the VB has its original frag squares inside, all three are exactly the same and the bolts have been there a long time, just curious about the VB base as the hole is large for the center tube for the bullet to pass, just wondering if some manufacturers had base pre- made and was press into the bottom, that why I am intrested in its manufacturing stages.

Last edited:
Anyone have any manufacturing links to VB rifle grenades. Also is there differences in America and French VB grenades, I have noticed brass filling caps as to the zinc lead type.

Yes, there are differences between US and French VB grenades. Mostly in the central tube and the striker. Also, the plug in the bottom is a hex nut in the American version.

Is there any references to this and other variations, I wouldn't mind collecting these if there were a hand full of VBs to have ie American and French a cutaway and a precast one I already have. There also seems to be manufacturing markings on these, how many manufacturers were there and who were the French and American makers or were they all made in France.

Last edited:
The Americans made them as well as the French. I don't know the actual manufacturer unfortunately. Here is a photo of an American one, note the difference in the striker.

Attachments

• vb frag.jpg
    vb frag.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 10