What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French WW1 37mm ID help please

I have ran across this French WW1 37mm shell for sale and would like some help to ID it. As you can see the projp appears to be hollow brass as the casing. It comes apart and inside are .69 cal. balls. The seller says it is a shell for hitting observation ballons. I had not seen one before. Any input greatly appreciated. Sorry about pic quality, but I had to photograph my monitor..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 494.jpg
    Picture 494.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 495.jpg
    Picture 495.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 37
It's a French 37mm Canister Shot Round - Prices vary from 50 to 100. Hope you bag a good deal. See picture attached.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
way cool Wilson, thank you kindly for the information. Where fuzed?..Dano

Last edited by a moderator:
37 mm canister

Hi Dano,
this model of shell (canister) is not fuzed. The body is made in thin sheet of metal (cooper) and will be desintegrate when passing through the barrel of the gun. So can the balls be dispersed on the muzzleof the gun and provide a close-up defence.

Yoda