What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French WW1 or Earlier Shrapnel shell top

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is what I suspect is the top section of an WW1 era French shrapnel shell of about 75mm calibre. I would appreciate a better identification from a more knowledgable individual! I have pictured it alongside a standard top from the shrapnel shell of the 75 DEC and you can see the differences, notably the lack of a screw thread to connect it with the main body. The fuse is slightly damaged but appears to run from 0 to 25 seconds, diameter of about 34 mm. The diameter of the base is 72mm. Over to you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Thanks Minenaz, the thread diameter is about 22mm. I will try to clean the fuze further this weekend and confirm the time graduations but I am certain it goes beyond 22 seconds, possibly to 26. As always many thanks for your contribution.

We are looking for a shell with a removable head and with thin walls.
De Reyffie shells used 25-38 fuzes, thick walls and one piece body.
The first question is to identify clearly this French T&P fuze. I only know 25-38 or 30-38 with this shape but with other graduations and different top screw.
Note there is no screw on the bottom so the possible percussion device could be inserted by the top.

Hi Minenaz, sorry for the delay house decorating was deemed a higher priority than fuze cleaning. Pictured is the last graduation, clearly marked 25, there is one further setting hole beyond the 25. As you can see it is a fired example with the fuze setting punch at 19 seconds. The item came with the British 15 pounder shrapnel shell pictured, both are in excellent condition. The 15pdr still has original grey paint and is dated 1896. I suspect both items have been together since they were recovered, my mind turns towards the Boer War of the early 1900's when I find a good condition 15pdr. Could the French fuze be an export model? I think some French companies did supply guns to the Boers.
One references confirms the Boer's purchased 4x 15cm Creusots (long Toms) and 6x 7.5cm quick firing Creusot field guns. One report comments the 15pdr Creusot was much superior to the British 15pdr and had a 2000 yards range advantage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Thank you. Very interesting. Clearly not a common fuze. Maybe for export but no information to help.
I searched in all my manuals at work and found nothing.
For my archives, could you give a good measurment of the base of the visible part and the max external diameter of the thread, thank you.
These two dimensions are very important because they are used to write the nomenclature and could help to identify the shell.

image33 - Copie.jpgimage2 - Copie.jpg

Last edited:
I found an external drawing of a fuze with this shape on a S.F.M. drawing with only the reference >Fusee a double effet de 25"< The drawing itself is about a different thematic and without meassurements so the fuze is mentioned as a side note only. But because of that I have the same opinion as MINENAZ16 that S.F.M. (maybe others too) made this fuze for French companies like Schneider, Hotchkiss or Ste. Chamond which exported them together with their guns. I think countries like Mexico, Romania, etc. are possible candidates and of Course the Boer too.

Last edited:
Thanks Alpini and Minenaz, I called in and spoke to the seller of the 15pdr and shell top. He confirmed both items came in together but could offer no history. He then said they came with a funny brass screw! After some searching the percussion fuze pictured emerged! It is made by Societe Francaise. Having measured both fuzes and allowing for the damage I would say both are 38mm, with a screw thread diameter of 25mm. I suspect all 3 items were souvenirs collected from the battlefield.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 20
Thread 22mm fits the "obus a balles de 4 de campagne et de montagne" (84mm diameter) and the the Reyffe "canon de 5 a balles" (78mm) and canon a balles de 7" (83mm) modeles 1880. You'll find here a very exhaustive study of the various French ww1 and earlier shrapnel shells, by Henry Belot, with very nice drawings
http://www.cprh.be/211043424
and
http://www.cprh.be/294996675
and
http://www.cprh.be/294996676

Hello

can you please do something ? These links are dead.