What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuse and Paint for WWI French F1 Grenade

peregrinvs

Hi,

I've just acquired a relic F1 body as it was cheap and looked like it would clean up well. I have a few questions:

How easy is it to get a fuse? What do they typically cost? Are repros available?

Also;

I believe the original paint colour for these was pale blue - can anyone suggest an 'off the shelf' model paint equivalent?

Many thanks,:tinysmile_grin_t:

Mark

hi. i have a spare lead fuze for the f1 missing the brass cover. its yours if you want it.
as for colour ive seen french ordnance in various shades of blue so i dont think it matters to much about an exact match.
heres an original pear gren for a colour reference.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• Page8P1.jpg
    Page8P1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 71
A little update. It's currently sitting in a bath of Deox-C rust remover and what appears to be some traces of red paint have appeared in the cracks. Does this suggest it was a practice grenade? Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct colour?

Thanks,
Mark

same story again mark. The red would have been a variety of shades.
heres a few red french grens.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Page8PracticeOF.jpg
    Page8PracticeOF.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Page8PracticeF1.jpg
    Page8PracticeF1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 27
Just a quick public note of thanks to Paul for very kindly sending me a fuse for my F1. A real gent!:angel:

I think on reflection I shall give it a blue HE paintjob. Off to the modelshop...

Cheers,

Mark

Hi,

Apologies for the delay, but I attach some before, during and after pictures of cleaning and repainting the relic F1 grenade.

As you can see, the fuse that Paul the Grenade was kind enough to send me doesn't screw in fully and I haven't tried to force it. Does anyone know if there is an 'off the peg' thread cutter that would clean out the threads in the grenade body?

The paint colour is currently a bit bright, so I have left it where the sun can get at it and hopefully naturally fade it down a bit.

Cheers,

Mark

Attachments

• Relic F1 Grenade painted 1.jpg
    Relic F1 Grenade painted 1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Relic F1 Grenade painted 2.jpg
    Relic F1 Grenade painted 2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Relic F1 Grenade painted 3.jpg
    Relic F1 Grenade painted 3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Relic F1 Grenade uncleaned 1.jpg
    Relic F1 Grenade uncleaned 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Relic F1 Grenade uncleaned 2.jpg
    Relic F1 Grenade uncleaned 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Relic F1 Grenade uncleaned 3.jpg
    Relic F1 Grenade uncleaned 3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Relic F1 Grenade cleaned 1.jpg
    Relic F1 Grenade cleaned 1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Relic F1 Grenade cleaned 2.jpg
    Relic F1 Grenade cleaned 2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Relic F1 Grenade cleaned 3.jpg
    Relic F1 Grenade cleaned 3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 17
If i remember correctly, a 14mm thread cutter should do the trick. I've used on on several F1 bodies without problems. But you have to be sure that the threads on the fuze and the body match.

If you're sure that this kind of fuse was used along with this kind of body, take a caliper and measure the fuze threads. Then buy a suitable thread cutter and rethread the body. Just my 2 cents... :smile:

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I gave away the grenade casing in this thread* but still have the fuse. One good turn deserves another, so the first person to PM me with a UK address can have the fuse gratis.

Cheers,
Mark

*A 'Secret Santa' present for a friend at work who's into military war gaming. He was pleased with it.