What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fuze manufacturers

collector

Premium Member
My fellow collectors,

Is there a list available of all the different manufacturers, who made the British no117 and no119 fuze?
I found only a few of them, but none of them seem to match the codes I found on them.

For example:
no 117 B.S.A
no 117 AWA
no 117 T.G.C
no 119 B
no 119 URT
no 119 IWB

Thank you as always for your feedback.

Greetings,
Robert

Robert,

BSA = Birmingham Small Arms
AWA = Amalgamated Wireless Australasia
TGC = The Gramophone Company, London.
B = Either Bryces of Hackbridge or Burns Brothers, both made fuzes. (but I favour Bryces)
URT = Ewarts Ltd. Dudley
IWB - I don't know

Regards

Tim

Last edited:
Hello Robert,
There is probably no definitive list of manufacturers of those fuzes. The National Archives (TNA) at Ruskin Avenue, Kew, may have files of government correspondence where that information can be found, but if they exist they may be subject to time limitations, bearing in mind that versions of the No 117 were still in service into the 1980s. Ammunition & Explosives Regulations Volume 3 Pamphlet 48 Part 5 (or Part 6, I don't remember which) had a list of ammunition contractors' codes that ran to about 8 pages and I think they were drastically reduced during my service (1978 - 1993). I just wonder if TNA has an early version of that publication. The codes would not have been specific to Fuzes 117 & 119 but apply to all Land Service ammunition and therefore of interest to collectors of all types. I hope this helps. Matthew.

Dear Matthew,
Indeed this helps a lot, at leat I can continue my search in another direction!
Thank you so much for this.
Robert