What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze No 100 Mk II

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Here is a blown 100 Mk II that I found a few years ago in France P1050593.jpgP1050594.jpgP1050595.jpgP1050596.jpgP1050597.jpgP1050598.jpgand recently cleaned up some more. I think that whatever the farmers put on the field has caused the general pitting, however the markings are still very clear.

Ammotechxt,

This particular specimen was made by Yale and Towne, an American company ("Z" in a circle). Although they had a UK company from before WWI, the only details I have are for the US company. The fuze was filled by "F7" - National Filling Factory (No. 7), Hayes, Middlesex.

What is the marking adjacent to the encircled "Z"?

TimG

Thanks for the info Tim. It looks like the letter `E' under a small arrow. I take it that in the second photo the stamp over the broad arrow is an inspector's mark? The third photo shows that the fuze is a 100 Mk 2 B. The fourth has what might be a lightly struck `X' (or a tent symbol?) to the left of `G2'. The fifth looks like the lot number has been changed to 388 from 1015.P1050599.jpgP1050600.jpgP1050601.jpgP1050602.jpgP1050603.jpg

Ammotechxt,

As stated in a recent post - I'm sure that the "E" surmounted by a Broad Arrow, within a lozenge is the acceptance mark of the Egyptian Army. http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/94909-Some-primers-N°1?p=275595#post275595

From 1882 – 1956, Egypt was a British protectorate. The period from 1914 until 1922 it was known as the ‘Formal Protectorate.’ There was a large British military presence in Egypt, comprising, from what I can ascertain of the British Army and the British led Egyptian Army. The latter had their own acceptance mark similar to that used by the Empire and Dominion armies. I can only assume that the primers and your fuze although intended for the Egyptian Army were diverted to the Western Front.

TimG

Thanks Tim, although the primer thread was recent and I had read your comment about Egypt, I had not remembered it. It makes sense that ammo intended for Egypt was diverted in 1916, as the campaign to remove the Turks from what is now Israel didn't get into full swing until 1917, not until after a railway was built along the coastal strip heading North.
Over the weekend I read in the 1915 Treatise or 1926 text book that fuze empty lot numbers were struck through at the time that filled lot numbers were added. If this is so then my fuze was not a re-work as I had originally thought.

Tim, thanks for the info on the maker Z in a circle - Yale & Towne (lock makers).

I have 2 fuzes with the same markings including the E and arrow in a diamond. Mine are later No. 101 Mk II, both dated 3-17 and have similar lot numbers.

These fuzes were never filled (or fired) and were a bit corroded and knocked around - as if battlefield or shipwreck recovered - but I don't know for sure.

I find it surprising that they were US made and Egyptian army accepted.

Regards, Graeme

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 04.jpg